Wooden Pc Case?

CanadaGUY

Anyone got one?

I'm thinking of building my own case, for no other reason then just to kill some time. Two of my favourite ideas for the building material of the case are Plexi-glass, for a completely see through experience or Wood, for a peaceful "in the woods" feel.

So i headed off to google to see whats the deal with a wooden PC case, and came across THIS. So now i've just gotta decide between the two materials, i'm leaning towards wood at the moment.

As for what is going to be going into the case,

Right now all i have is:

CPU: need

Mobo: need

Ram: 2gb of DDR2-800

HDD: need

Disk Drive: old CD-RW

Vid Card: Old 9800pro, though finding a AGP slot mobo will be tough now-adays.

As for the purpose of this computer, after the fun of creating it. I don't know really, I may give it away to my girlfriend (if it's made of wood that is, she's a nature freak she'd probably love it... well maybe not seeing as some tree just died in it's construction :) ) or maybe jsut do some folding.

Anywho, I'll update this when i finally decide on a material, and get an idea of the size of the components going in.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

If you do decide to go with wood, then depending on what you actually pick up you need to be prepared for resonance (if you are concerned about noise).

So just make sure to reduce vibration transmission to the case as much as possible otherwise it might hum a bit.

Wood can be rather nice to work with (depends on what type you pick), so there is plenty of potential to make somthing a bit unique. :)

Wood can be rather nice to work with (depends on what type you pick), so there is plenty of potential to make somthing a bit unique. :)

:withstupid:

Wood is much more forgiving and easier to work with (assuming average/layperson skillsets and toolboxes :P).

Even still, without the proper tools, making something nice like this out of wood will be tricky. Do you have them?

Yea, I read about that resonance thing in the DIY Guide I posted. So i'll definitely keep that in mind when i'm building it.

Leaning more towards wood, for a couple reasons.

1. My father is a furniture designer/builder (high quality stuff, custom designs and such.) so the use of some of his tools, plus his knowledge of wood and such will help greatly.

2. Like i said earlier, i'm probably going to pass it on to my Girlfriend at the end of the project, cause i have no use for 2 PC's atm. And she's a nature freak, so she'll probably love it.

3. Other then that, does seem a bit more "different" of a case idea then plexi-glass.

Two of my favourite ideas for the building material of the case are Plexi-glass, for a completely see through experience or Wood, for a peaceful "in the woods" feel.

[..] So now i've just gotta decide between the two materials

How about both?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/fuelers_folding_rig/

:)