Sign in to follow this  
robAP

Need Audiophile Sound For $500

He said that he will buy a sub another time so that would be on another budget all together...

Perfect then.... the F1's make good home cinema setups, but for decent bass you'll need a sub to fill in the 20-100hz range, as they'll drop off a fair bit - so a sub is a must ;)

[edit:]thanks for the reply guys. i need to go hear the Tannoys tho cause i heard something today that really impressed me. also the sub can be separate but that budget wont be too much so ill try to find something reasonably all inclusive. im gonna go look for anyone near here thats a dealer so i can go hear.[end edit]

well ive been looking now.

i drove around and listened to a few systems. mirages nanosat 5.1, Klipsch's 110, Paradigm 110, Polk, all were very good. the nanosats were great and clear but a bit spacy and heavily dependent on the sub. klipschc's are for hard rockcing crews andd are all horn based and not for everything, paradigms were very good as well as polk. then i heard the Definitive ProCinema 600 and i thought my ears were cleared out with a q-tip. the clarity and especially how TIGHT it all was really made everything else seem a step below. the other brands sounded a bit confused in the midrange after hearing these things. unfortunately its $800 for the whole deal with the sub.....gotta convince the wife. anyone know where the real discount sites are?

im still lookin around. in hopes that something just as clear can be found.

Edited by robAP

Might want to check these out. I have them as my 7.1 setup in my large computer room with hardwood floors ( <- this is a BIG factor for SQ).

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=309-400

Now before you scoff, read this review:

http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index.php?o...37&blogId=1

These were designed by Ian Paisley (audio engineer extraordinaire) and I can agree with the review above. They sound fantastic! I have very discerning ears and this setup sounds almost as good as my Grado SR225 headphones (bold statement). I am using a Dayton 10" subwoofer crossed at 150 Hz with this system on a Denon 7.1 amp fed through my PC with a bluegears soundcard.

What amazed me most about the sound of these speakers is the uniformity of the soundstage wherever you go in the room. Awesome to listen to when cooking or cleaning (constantly moving).

Pair them with these speaker stands, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=240-814, and you're looking at a 7.1 setup (without subs or amp) in the $200 price range that will blow most supposedly high-end surround systems out of the water. Just make sure that your sub can achieve a good response up to 180Hz in order to compensate for the speakers lack of bass.

Finally a Sharpie will get rid of the XBOX logo quite nicely. Also, make sure that you position the speakers correctly because the Parts Express picture shows them 90 degrees the wrong orientation.

And no, I don't work for parts express, I just like the free shipping on orders over $100.........

With a budget like that I'd build my own speakers.

www.partsexpress.com

Very heavily agree, especially if you already own a few woodworking tools. If not...well you might be able to get the boxes cut relatively cheap locally depending on who is in your area.

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Pr.../D3/dayton3.htm

I'd use 5 of these any day, and honestly you could get by without a sub for a long time as long as you don't have insane bass requirements. They'll do bass heavy music very well, low frequency explosions not so much but they'll certainly let you feel it. But that's in addition to having exemplary sound quality for the price.

Tough to beat, imo.

Otherwise, I'd be checking out some of Paradigms lower-end stuff. Always been a fan, though I haven't heard any of their newer models.

Edit: Scratch that "five of these" bit. Ever since making my own speakers I have never seen a need for a center channel, provided the room you have your surround setup in is of decent size. Virtually all receivers will send the center channel signal to the front left/right speakers if you shut it off. Sounds much, much better in my opinion and saves you the additional cost. Soundstage is vastly improved and you don't lose any 'action' sound across your mains, it sounds just like the center is there but much more natural, much smoother.

Just my thoughts on it, I'm sure others have tried it as well and may have their own to add to this...

Edited by technodanvan

Just my thoughts on it, I'm sure others have tried it as well and may have their own to add to this...

My home theater is set up the same way. :) Technically it's a 4.1 setup because I don't use a center channel. It's FAR easier to run no center than it is trying to voice match the center to the mains as well as get everything in the right position so that the transitions are smooth.

My best advice would be to hold on and save a bit more money. If you spend $500 then you're probably looking for something that will satisfy you for years to come. Even if you can save up another $250, that would open up a lot more avenues to explore. I know it's hard to wait when you got so much saved up already, but trust me you will thank me later. The last Receiver I bought was a Marantz SR7300, nothing crazy but definitely not a slouch either; 7.1, 1000W for $1000. That receiver was bought in 2002 if I remember correctly and has served my with nice rich sound for all this time. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon either, so I consider it one of my best investments ever. Speakers should always cost more than what drives them, that's a good rule of thumb to follow. Patience is a virtue ;)

My home theater is set up the same way. :) Technically it's a 4.1 setup because I don't use a center channel. It's FAR easier to run no center than it is trying to voice match the center to the mains as well as get everything in the right position so that the transitions are smooth.

I agree with Dan, I have a set of paradigm 9se's for my mains, bi-amped through a denon 2308ci, with paradigm focus reference v3 for surrounds. I don't need a sub, cuz i can feel bass I can barely hear, and i like the fact that most of the main sounds aren't coming from a small center channel. If it's set up right (timber matched), you shouldn't be able to really hear the center anyway, and i like the way the mains blend in to replicate the center. Works for me.