Need Audiophile Sound For $500

robAP

no brand fan-boy's please. i need the best real honest to good clear warm sound for my $500. (i can buy the sub separately a month later when i have the funds). I got an awesome clearance deal on a beefy very strong kick-butt Yamaha 7.1 amp/reciever (rx-v659, 100x7) that really has very good audio production. but im still on a budget and dont have $5,000 for speakers, just my measily 500 budget (not including sub. that comes later but will still be on a budget for that too). Perusing the review sites leaves me lost as the sites that have products in my range have fan-boy biases towards a brand thats not the best and the other pure audiophile sites don't even consider my "poor and unworthy" quest to find the best in that range of price....but they'll be happy to tell me how i should spend $25,000 on speakers instead of my mortgage. so i need clean warm full sound that lets this amp deliver what its able to deliver whether it is rap, classical, jazz, blues, spoken word or death metal.

Now i know that asking this question and assigning a budget of such a low number (in comparison to what the really high end top line stuff costs) is probably undermining if not insulting to a serious audiophile, but whatever suggestions you might have for companies that make wonderful clear sound for not much in the face of particularistic crap market "theater in a box" systems would be fantastic to receive. but i will take a popular name brand if it indeed is the best quality for my money.

(i guess i want anti-establishment sound where possible? :blink: )

Edited by robAP

You say you have a 7.1 receiver but don't mention how many speakers you actually want to set up, which would be helpful.

As would a bit more detail on the room they are going in to (no use recommending small speakers for a massive room or vice versa).

All I can really add is that I bought a 5.1 set of Infinity 1100s for my living room and absolutely love them. Got them clearance + scratch/dent for significantly less than your budget on Vanns.com.

Are you looking to buy a complete system or separates?

Without knowing much, just your budget, I recommend some Polk Monitor 30s and Polk CS1 for the centre. As for the subwoofer, at $250 the BIC H-100 is a good one.

My opinion is that it depends on what your ears are used to. Spending 25k is well and good, but pointless if you've not had something at a lower-mid range to benefit from.

I'm guessing that with a 7.1, you are looking for a surround setup? (re: theatre in a box comment)

I know that a lot of floor-standers are used by folk before adding another set of smaller (or the same) in the range for the rears and centre. In the US, I don't know if you get "Mission" speakers (or Tannoy?), but they, along with Celstion and a few others, have some good speakers in that price range. I know Tannoy and Mission have centre speakers for specific ranges of speaker, so might be worth a look.

Unless of course you want satellites?

oops sorry bout the details. yes its 7.1 capable but i'm just fine with a 5.1 setup and could get more bang for the $$ with a 5.1.

it's a home theater type setup for the living room as a surround system. its a smaller living room and i don't need huge floor standers. if i did i would have to spend alot more than just $500. I've previously been a JBL fan and they are still good but i know that theres better now for the same price. the arrangement will have smaller speakers on 30" stands in the back corners and similar ones on the ends of my console in the front (its wide enough) + a center channel. and sub would be later behind the recliner. minimal echo with rugs over hardwood floors and enough things to limit reflections. again its not a big room....12x12 somewhat with an alcove off to the side.

Edited by robAP

Take a look at the Polks I mentioned in my above post. Those will probably be the best speakers within your budget. I've just recently bought some Polk myself (but not the Monitor 30), these speakers are well made, quite heavy, and they have a nice "big" sound to them. Any subwoofer will do really, as long as it can play loud and low enough for your needs, no need to be picky there. Even a Yamaha cheapo sub is fine.

If you think the Monitor 30 is too big, you might look at the RM10, as well. Those are available as a five-pack with a centre channel. If you snoop around Amazon.com, you can find them around $300 shipped. :)

4x Tannoy F1 Custom + Mercury Center should be about $440... so leaving room for a second hand sub??
He said that he will buy a sub another time so that would be on another budget all together...