Network Traffic Monitoring

sYstEmATiC

in the joyous household i live in im unfortunately not the only one using the internet connection. another downfall is that all the people that use the net in my house are nethogs. since i help pay for half of the net bill i don't think its fair that my sister uses 90% of the connection on torrents and then when asked she flat out lies about it. im not allowed to just get on and turn them off because it is after all her computer. (but she doesn't pay for the net) what im here for is a program that will allow me to monitor throughput of individual ip's on my home network so i can see whos hogging and when. there are a max of 7 devices that connect to the net at my house so nothing with features for huge multi-million dollar office complexes would need. it doesn't have to be free but nothing incredibly expensive either but free is good (as long as theres no spyware).

i have a linksys wrt54gs router, half of the computers are wirless the other half is wired if it matters.

ive been looking at some programs but i think im more lost than i thought i would be. any help is good.

Thanks,

Brian

EDIT: i forgot to mention that my network is a workgroup type network, not a domain. so im not even sure what to look for as far as that goes either.

I know tomato firmware for that router has built in logs showing data usage. Or you could go on her computer and change the settings in the torrent program. I'm sure if she knows how to change the settings you can install a bandwidth limiter of some sort on her pc without her knowing, but im not sure where you would look for a program like that.

well you can use Wireshark to monitor the packets on the network, but what would be easiest would be to setup QoS on the router and set her system to low and yours to high, what is the version on that WRT54GS? should say on the bottom

well you can use Wireshark to monitor the packets on the network, but what would be easiest would be to setup QoS on the router and set her system to low and yours to high, what is the version on that WRT54GS? should say on the bottom

i have two of them, the one im using now is a V4 and the other one is a V2, but its at a friends. (i know the earlier is better)

the one im using has the Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c firmware on it now.

the QoS is kind of like setting priority to programs in task manager correct? so she could use max bandwidth until i get on then my pc would take precedence over hers right?

yea that is how QoS should work, It should give the packets to/from your IP or MAC the higher priority depending how you set it up it can also give your sister a lower priority

V4 is still good for aftermarket firmwares, usually V5 and up most 3rd parties don't work on. That is a decent firmware I switched to Tomato because that one isn't being worked on anymore.

• 3 weeks later...