Noob With Questions!!!

knightsar

Ok I had to join to get into the mix with every one. I am going to build me a decent gaming system without breaking the bank. Please take a look at what I plan on getting from my local Micro center store and give me some feed back. It will run me around $1350 for all the parts and software.

Love the site thanks in advance for your input!

Gigabyte EP35C-DSR ATX or Gigabyte EP35-DS4 ATX What do you think in case I want to go SLI later?

Intel

Well, for a start, neither of those baords will do SLI, as they are both P35 (intel) chipsets. For SLI, you need an Nvidia Chipset, I.E Nvidia 780i based mobo, for your DDR2 choice, or a 790i for a DDR3 based choice. I would go for the DDR2 atm, but from the little that i have read, the 790i seems to OC a bit better, so maybe think of that. Why not go Vista (no flaming please). With SP1 it is just as stable, if not more stable than XP (based on experience). Apart from that, it all looks good. Also think of an aftermarket HSF such as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + a Good Fan, as it will cool the CPU much better than the stock cooler

For example, i have my q6600 at 3.56 with 1.392V and it loads at 49oC! compared to the 70+ oC of the stock cooler.

Well, for a start, neither of those baords will do SLI, as they are both P35 (intel) chipsets. For SLI, you need an Nvidia Chipset, I.E Nvidia 780i based mobo, for your DDR2 choice, or a 790i for a DDR3 based choice. I would go for the DDR2 atm, but from the little that i have read, the 790i seems to OC a bit better, so maybe think of that. Why not go Vista (no flaming please). With SP1 it is just as stable, if not more stable than XP (based on experience). Apart from that, it all looks good. Also think of an aftermarket HSF such as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + a Good Fan, as it will cool the CPU much better than the stock cooler

For example, i have my q6600 at 3.56 with 1.392V and it loads at 49oC! compared to the 70+ oC of the stock cooler.

It has been over five years since I built a gaming computer and am not up on the SLI yet but with your help I am learning. I have been up in the air on weather I want to go SLI I just don't know if it is worth it maybe you could shed some light on that for me. I may go Vista will it be possible to still use all of my games that worked on XP?

I plan on overclocking later on and already have thought about the Ultra 120 for a cooler looks like to be one of the best around. Do you install a fan on this cooler?

Edited by knightsar

I dont have SLI so i cant comment on the performance of it, it really depends on the games and whether the Nvidia Driver has an SLI profile for that game.

Again, with the games, i am not sure about all games, as i only run a small selection, but games as old as CS 1.6 seem to run perfectaly.

Yeah, a fan is nessicary on the Ultra, but make sure you pick a fan that is good quality, and balances decent airflow, with reasonable noise, such as a medium or slow speed yate loon.

I dont have SLI so i cant comment on the performance of it, it really depends on the games and whether the Nvidia Driver has an SLI profile for that game.

Again, with the games, i am not sure about all games, as i only run a small selection, but games as old as CS 1.6 seem to run perfectaly.

Yeah, a fan is nessicary on the Ultra, but make sure you pick a fan that is good quality, and balances decent airflow, with reasonable noise, such as a medium or slow speed yate loon.

Great info thx!!! I looked at the Ultra 120 where dose the fan install?

I have been over at the video forum see a few problems with the SLI still haven't made my mind up on that yet. I will wait to get the video card last to make sure I get the right card and the best buy. Do you like your ASUS I have one in my old rig.

Yeah, i love my asus, it is dead stable, and really easy to overclock, and find your way around the bios.

There are 2 special wire clips that come with the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) that attach onto the side and hook round the fan. It is a bit difficult to do, so i would recommend fitting it before you put the mobo in the case.

Also, check that there is enough room in the case to get the door shut, as it just touches the door of my Antec 900.

I would decide on SLI before you pick a mobo, cos u do need to know that to get the correct motherboard. then decide on which cards in SLI. I like my 8800GTS (512mb) but it seems the new 9800GTX is just it with a few added features, and slightly faster memory.

Yeah, i love my asus, it is dead stable, and really easy to overclock, and find your way around the bios.

There are 2 special wire clips that come with the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) that attach onto the side and hook round the fan. It is a bit difficult to do, so i would recommend fitting it before you put the mobo in the case.

Also, check that there is enough room in the case to get the door shut, as it just touches the door of my Antec 900.

I would decide on SLI before you pick a mobo, cos u do need to know that to get the correct motherboard. then decide on which cards in SLI. I like my 8800GTS (512mb) but it seems the new 9800GTX is just it with a few added features, and slightly faster memory.

I think i will skip the SLI for now and get one great performing card. Which ASUS mobo would you recommend me to look at?

Thanks Again

Jeff

Edited by knightsar

No Problem!

Any more questions, just ask lol!

Let us know when u get it up and going, and what games u run! maybe see u in a server sometime! :P

No problem I am playing COD 4 and Battlefield 2 now. You take care and thanks for your help.