Building Secondary Open-air Pc, Pc P+c 310w Enough?

title pretty much says it all. I'm building a secondary F@H PC/Linux x64 experience toy - no Windows OS, no case, no case fans, no demanding 3D apps (AFAIK). I'll probably OC the CPU to 2.5ghz, but nothing extreme.

components:

skt. 939 Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Biostar TForce4SLI

2gb OCZ Platinum DDR-400

EVGA 7900 GS

80gb PATA HD

DVD-ROM drive

1 - 120mm Yate Loon medium speed case fan for CPU Cooler

I think that about covers it - will a PC Power + Cooling Silencer 310w PSU handle 24/7 SMP Folding w/those components, or should I look at something in the 400w range?

That PSU should handle it just fine. More would be needed for a videocard, but you're not using one. :)

EVGA 7900 GS

the motherboard doesn't have onboard video, so I'm using the oldest card I have. :)

still think it'd be ok, or do I need to bump up the wattage a bit?

Ah, I missed the videocard. Please excuse as I have a cold.

You should still be okay with that PSU, the rig will draw about 250w under full 3d load. PCP&C rates their PSUs at a continuous wattage, so it's closer to most 400w units.

I am running 2 overclocked Q6600s on 350 watt Antecs. I did have another one I tried to run on a 350 antec but I guess it was an old or weak PSU and could not handle it. The other two are working fine...

awesome - thanks a ton to each of you!

@ Verran - current (and forecasted) energy prices pretty much necessitate conservation at every level. the silver lining in this case is that I can use a top-tier PSU w/out breaking the bank - which is easily broken these days :lol:

@ Verran - current (and forecasted) energy prices pretty much necessitate conservation at every level. the silver lining in this case is that I can use a top-tier PSU w/out breaking the bank - which is easily broken these days :lol:

Indeed. Pretty cool to be able to get into a PCP&C in any range. It's also nice that PSUs are most efficient when fully loaded. Nice little bonus for those of us who don't go overboard :)

It's also nice that PSUs are most efficient when fully loaded. Nice little bonus for those of us who don't go overboard :)

To be a little picky, generally between 20% and 80% load. 100% load will be slightly less efficient.

I can't find any efficiency figures on the 310W PCP&C Silencer, but I know it's not 80+ certified (which may mean it simply hasn't been submitted for testing).