Ip Release And Internet

Raife

Ok - This new build has been the most painful of my life. But I finally got things running and stable. So I started to add in additional perfs and things went downhill. My setup is as follows:

EVGA 790i Ultra

Intel Q9450

GSkill 2x2gb 1600

2 x Raptor X (Raid 0)

2 x Samsung spinpoint f1 1tb (raid 1)

2 x EVGA Geforce 9800GTX (SLI)

Cosmos s case

Coolermaster Realpower 850 Pro

2 x Samsung DVD writers

Vista x64 Ultimate (PoS)

Like I said, finally got everything working and then tried to install my Logitech Quickcam. Got a BSoD with a 0x0000007e. Once I finally got the comp to boot again, realized there was no internet connectivity, so I rolled back a restore point to prior to Quickcam install. Boots fine, but still no internet connectivity. I know the network is active and working (I have 2 laptops that work fine - including on the port the desktop is plugged into). I am getting nothing. Tried to check the IP situation (with admin priv) and I get a 169.XX address (default when it can't acquire one). Then try ipconfig /release - no such luck. So I reinstall the drivers - no luck. So I uninstall, run Driver Sweeper, reinstall - no luck. I do get an error when I try to ipconfig /renew that it can't reach my DCHP server and times out. However, again strange since my two laptops have no issues. I have reset botht the router and the modem several times and tried a direct connection to the comp from the router. And to top it off my Raid 1 just failed. Arrrggghhhh. (shakes fist over head and yells "d**n you computer gods").

So anybody have any ideas. And oh running latest bios and drivers all around.

Can I do that without being able to release the current IP address?

yes

I've ran into an issue like that on my brothers system awhile back and the only way I could fix it, short of a full OS reinstall(this was an XP machine, so you can't blame vista on it), was to assign it a static IP, are you running a firewall? could it be blocking all network activity

I am running a firewall (on router which is not the issues as other computers work) and on my machine (Kasperkey). I have shut off Kasperkey and it still happens.

Soo... always start with the basics :rolleyes: Unplugged the computer, waited 30 seconds, reboot - - - works fine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ROFL. I hate it when that happens.

• 4 weeks later...

When you perform ipconfig /release it releases your current IP. If you try to renew it before restarting your computer, it will reassign the computer with the same IP address because it is cached on your machine. So if you do release, reboot, and then try to renew your ip address.