Intel Lga775 Life Cycle

The GA-X48T-DQ6 supports DDR3.

The GA-X48-DQ6 supports DDR2.

Anyways like said before its not worth it to pay $400-$600 for DDR3 when the performance gains are so little right know when compared to DDR2.

Oh, thanks for looking that up. The DDR3 version is $50 more. Not only does that make the budget a lot tighter, but I honestly don't think it's worth it at all. DDR2 is fine for now, and will be for a long time. If you put more money into a DDR3, by the time DDR3 becomes reasonably priced (and worth it at all), you'll be on a new board.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am back. Been a little while since I started this but it has been a busy couple of weeks and there was a break-in my building so I wanted to reassess my situation before I went out and bought a new computer. I decided against going with any crossfire, because it just struck me as a better idea to just upgrade the videocard as need and it would be pricey. I also took some of your other advice as well.

But anyway, here is the system I decided upon. Just wanted to run it by you all to make sure I didn't do anything stupid like pick something unnecessary or blatantly incompatible.

GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

Q6600

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

SAPPHIRE 100221SR Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB

Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD SH-S203B

Although, I am unsure about my PS requirements. Last time I built a computer I was told it was all about just making sure you had enough wattage, but now I read all this stuff about Amps at the rails. I understand what this means from an electrical standpoint, however, I am not sure what the requirements are for my system, especially if I plan on OCing.

Thanks for any advice and for all the help you have given me already.

Charlie

Change the motherboard to the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, as the DDR3 compatibility of the P35C-DS3R simply isn't worth 20$ (because it's useless at the current DDR3 price point).

As for the PSU, any of these two power supplies will make you a very happy camper :)

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W - 119$ after MIR

Corsair TX750W - 119$ after MIR

The PCP&C would be my choice though, for the simple reason that they are the best power supply manufacturer around :)

Change the motherboard to the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, as the DDR3 compatibility of the P35C-DS3R simply isn't worth 20$ (because it's useless at the current DDR3 price point).

As for the PSU, any of these two power supplies will make you a very happy camper :)

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W - 119$ after MIR

Corsair TX750W - 119$ after MIR

The PCP&C would be my choice though, for the simple reason that they are the best power supply manufacturer around :)

Thanks king, especially for the PSU suggestions.

I actually already switched the mobo to the one you linked, I just linked to the one I had originally picked by accident. But I think i am going to go ahead and order everything. I will be back when i have it assembled and up and running so i can bug you all when I break my computer because I tried to OC the processors to 8GHz :)

If you haven't hit to order button yet I would personally swap the Mushkin for the new Ballistix 4GB kit they seem to hols timings a bit better than the rest of the 4GB kits out there and now that I've had some time to play with my Mushkin Redlines they don't impress me when compared to my G.Skill PQ that seems to easily match them clock for clock on my 680i and does MUCH better on my P965 (the mushkin requires some really loose timing options my my P5B-E can't give it to run even it's stock speed).

If the order button's been pressed though no harm sticking with the Mushkin, it gets the job done that's for sure, just the Crucial seems to be a little better (and i wish it had been out when I got my PQ).

Hi,

That sounds good...

If you wanted to save more money, you could have choosed DDR2-800 instead of 1000. The simple reason is that the Q6600 has a FSB of 266 Mhz and you DDR2-800 has one of 400, so this still gives you plenty of room to OC your quad without OCing the RAM. But if you're not so limited in budget, these mushkin sticks are a good choice.

besides that, if you want to OC, I would manage to get the Q6600 GO and not B3, because the B3 can't support high temperatures. (62.2

I think it is also worth to mention the Q6700. FSB 333 Mhz instead. But it is also a bit more expensive...

The Q6700 is 1066 FSB or 266 Bus Speed just like the Q6600, the only difference is a multi of 10 instead of 9 making it 2.66Ghz instead of 2.4. However those Q6700 should OC easier with the 10 multi if you luck out and get a decent chip....

D'oh ! Yes it's still a FSB of 266Mhz... I thought it was 333*8. I'm always trying to double-check the info I give, but this time I was in a hurry to go eat. A luck you're there Road-Runner...

But what about the stepping ? Does anyone know how to find it for Newegg products ?

D'oh ! Yes it's still a FSB of 266Mhz... I thought it was 333*8. I'm always trying to double-check the info I give, but this time I was in a hurry to go eat. A luck you're there Road-Runner...

But what about the stepping ? Does anyone know how to find it for Newegg products ?

If I am not mistaken all the Q6700s are G0 revision as far as stepping it should be a B. Of couse it is possible to get an ol B3 stepping Q6600, I dont think anyone has gotten one in quite awhile even from NewEgg. I got a G0 revision from Frys or two of them. If you want guaranteed G0 I think Frys and Clubit are guaranteed...

If I am not mistaken all the Q6700s are G0 revision as far as stepping it should be a B. Of couse it is possible to get an ol B3 stepping Q6600, I dont think anyone has gotten one in quite awhile even from NewEgg. I got a G0 revision from Frys or two of them. If you want guaranteed G0 I think Frys and Clubit are guaranteed...

I know that clubit is guaranteed go, and the last Q6600 I got from them had a 1.26 VID! Cant belive I gave that sucker up! NOw I've gotten 4 yes 4 Q6600's with 1.325 VIDs I'm on a quest to get a low VID Q6600 but it is not going so well or maybe I just have crappy luck!

I know that clubit is guaranteed go, and the last Q6600 I got from them had a 1.26 VID! Cant believe I gave that sucker up! Now I've gotten 4 yes 4 Q6600's with 1.325 VIDs I'm on a quest to get a low VID Q6600 but it is not going so well or maybe I just have crappy luck!

With all those I figured you would be cranking out the points on folding? Out of 7 I only got 3 decent ones...