Intel Lga775 Life Cycle

I am looking into building a new rig. The last one I built on my own I kind of screwed myself. I got caught at the end of the life cycle for a lot of the components, namely the processor socket.

I want to build my new PC to be somewhat future proof and expandable.

I have been reading a bunch and I think I would like to buy a MB that I can upgrade to quad-core when it becomes more supported by gaming, I would like Crossfire support (although, for cost reasons, I will start with just 1 GPU) and DDR2/DDR3 support.

I figure this will buy me a number of upgrades, so I have been eying the GigaByte GA-X48-DQ6.

It is a little on the pricey side so I just want to make sure that I am not looking at the LGA775 socket going out of style any time soon and I have had a hard time finding any information on this. Asking around to see what people think.

Thanks for any input.

We could better address your question if you told us more about your build. That's a good motherboard, but in a lot of cases it's probably going to be big-time overkill and a waste of money. It just all depends on your total budget, the other components you end up going with, and what uses you have for the machine.

Also, as for 775... It's hard to really know for sure, but it's had a good run and I think we have to imagine that it's probably nearing it's end. I don't follow those road maps very closely honestly (because if it's so far out I haven't heard of it, it doesn't matter yet :P), but there have been talks of new sockets. What I will say though, is if you plan to wait for the next socket, you're probably going to be waiting longer than you'd like, so really 775 is the only option anyways.

EDIT###

The tick/tock strategy does not necessarily implement a new socket with every new architecture AFAIK.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will try to better talk about where I am coming from.

I really just want to build a good gaming machine where I can get into OC. Money is not a huge issue, but I can't go super crazy which this board very well might me. I will probably want to build the whole thing because I suspect I will turn my old computer into a server.

The problem with my old system is that I had an Intel 875PBZ board (or something like that) and then decided I wanted to get into OC.. . of course I then find out that intel pretty much makes that impossible. So I abandoned that idea until i created my next rig.

So really, I want to build a machine that is kick . for gaming now AND will be great for at least a few more years and that will allow me to play around with OCing. I figured that if I planned for crossfire and DDR3 I would be okay for a while. But then I ran into the fear that my processor socket might go obsolete on me some time soon. FTR, I am a computer engineer so I have experience with building and testing boards so I am not too afraid of jumping right into "advanced" OCing.

I just want to make sure that if I get this socket I am not going to be kicking myself in a year because I will be extremely limited in upgradability. But if we still have a couple of years of decent processor upgrades for this socket, then I assume I would be in the clear.

Of course, if there is another mobo that you think would suit my needs as well, I am open for suggestion. I have only really been looking into this for a day, so I haven't written anything into stone yet. But I just want to limit myself as little as possible. I don't want to be kicking myself for processor socket AND memory in a year. :)

I just want to make sure that if I get this socket I am not going to be kicking myself in a year because I will be extremely limited in upgradability. But if we still have a couple of years of decent processor upgrades for this socket, then I assume I would be in the clear.

Let me ask you this. If I told you the new Intel socket was coming in a year, and that you would indeed be kicking yourself at that time, what would you do? Most people would not wait that long, and I'm kind of going on the assumption that you're the same way. If that is the case, there's no sense in driving yourself crazy worrying about every possible upgrade path. Most people spend so much insuring their upgrade path that they could have just saved the money and been half way to new (better) stuff when it came out, you know?

Anyways, it really depends on your budget. If you'll give us what you're looking to spend, there are probably several people who will put some full builds together for your consideration. Also, we know you're interested in gaming and OCing, but let us know if there's any other uses you'd like to get out of the build.

Would I do it? Probably. I have been wanting a new computer for a while now.

For the system, I don't do anything else that would require a system stronger than I would want for gaming. I do some music "producing" with cakewalk but my old machine handled that just fine and I didn't even have a standard soundcard, I opted for a recording soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile). It is a possibility that I will get into some 3-d modeling and into some more game programing in the future.

I was expecting to spend around 1500$.

I have a nice 21 inch monitor that I am happy with, but I would need/want another one for easy access to the server and running dual monitors, but for that purpose it could be just a cheap 17/19 inch flat screen. I have a gaming mouse/keyboard so I won't need anything like that.

So I was looking into buying a case, a mobo, memory, a GPU, a sound card, and probably some speakers. I think that is it.

Again, thanks for all the help. It is nice to discuss this with someone rather than just searching the internet.

If that's the budget for just those parts, then you do have quite a bit of room in there to get good stuff. In that case, I would go with something like this:

Intel Q9300 C2Q 2.5Ghz 45nm $295

Gigabyte EX48-DQ6 $288

OCZ Platinum 2x2GB DDR2-1000 $100 (- $MIR)

Sapphire 3870X2 $400 (- $30 MIR)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer $86 (- $30MIR)

Total: $1170 - $80 MIR = $1090

That leaves $410 for speakers, a case (that's personal preference, so I'll let you pick it), speakers, and a cooler (which you didn't mention, but you'll definitely want) I'd recommend the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.

That motherboard you picked will work for this budget, but honestly I still think it's overkill and you wouldn't know the difference if you bought a EX38-DS4. The video card will do anything you throw at it and then some, plus you'll have room to add another if you choose down the road. Also, I'd prefer this Mushkin ram myself, but it's out of stock right now.

EDIT###

You may also need to consider a new power supply, depending on what you already have.

Ah yes, I certainly forgot about the PS and the cooling system. Thanks for bringing that up.

The second mobo you listed does not support DDR3, I am guessing that you don't think that this is much of a concern. Am I correct in that thinking?

Also, the processor is a quad core. My initial take was just to get a dual core and then possibly upgrade to a quad core down the road if and when they are properly supported by games. What is your take on this?

Again, thank you for all the help. Although, I think you might be enjoying yourself a bit :)

Ah yes, I certainly forgot about the PS and the cooling system. Thanks for bringing that up.

The second mobo you listed does not support DDR3, I am guessing that you don't think that this is much of a concern. Am I correct in that thinking?

Also, the processor is a quad core. My initial take was just to get a dual core and then possibly upgrade to a quad core down the road if and when they are properly supported by games. What is your take on this?

Again, thank you for all the help. Although, I think you might be enjoying yourself a bit :)

Correct, the concensus is that DDR3 is massively expensive, while providing very little proformance improvements, it's really not worth it yet.

Also, you mention the cpu socket alot, however you should be aware that the chipset also decides what cpu can be used. For example, i have a 2.5 year old computer with a socket 775 mobo, that cant run core2's. My computer is a bit over 1 yr old, with S775 and supports 65nm core2's but not 45nm. So if i was upgrading the cpu, i'd prolly want a new board as well. (the X38 chipset does 45nm.....but who knows about the next step)

Imo the best way to upgrade a computer is do the gfx card, then cpu + mobo (ram if needed) and then repeat (adding other stuff like hard drives etc when needed)

Are you sure the DQ6 does? I didn't see it in the newegg specs (that's certainly not to say it doesn't, but I didn't think it did...). Also, DDR3 is certainly not worth it at this point, and I think by the time it is you're going to want a new board anyways.

I like quad core and I think it's a wise investment at this point. A 45nm quad will last you a long time these days, so I don't see the point in buying a dual core that you don't really want now and upgrading later. I doubt we'll see an improvement to the current 45nm quads for quite a while, so I'd just jump for quad now.

I think the Q9300 is ok, however with its low multi and less cache than a Q6600 I would go with the Q9450 or a Q6600...

A very good call, RR. I forgot to mention that. I would rather see you get a Q9450, but they're hard to find right now. I think it's worth the wait. But you're also right that the Q6600 is a very valid option. It would allow him to spend less money on RAM, plus would cost a lot less. If he picked up a Q6600 and a cheap 2x2 DDR800 kit, the X38 board would be even more applicable which would save cash for the PSU that needs to be added. And after both OCs, I don't think the difference to the Q9450 or Q9300 will be that staggering, especially considering the budget. I think I like the Q6600 idea a lot :)

Are you sure the DQ6 does? I didn't see it in the newegg specs (that's certainly not to say it doesn't, but I didn't think it did...). Also, DDR3 is certainly not worth it at this point, and I think by the time it is you're going to want a new board anyways.

The GA-X48T-DQ6 supports DDR3.

The GA-X48-DQ6 supports DDR2.

Anyways like said before its not worth it to pay $400-$600 for DDR3 when the performance gains are so little right know when compared to DDR2.