Why My Pc Is About To Make Me Cry...sis

LaRue05

Ok,

So for those of you that have been keeping up with me and my build, lets just say things are going awfully in the audio department, and I can't figure out why. I finally shelled out the $37 for FRAPS just so I could get some decent videos of the ingame sound errors I've been having.

Again: Here are my main system specs.

ASUS Striker II Extreme Formula Edition NVIDIA 780i nForce *note* this mobo has NO onboard sound.

Intel QX9650 Core 2 Extreme running 1333FSX x10.5 @ 3.5Ghz (overclocked from 3.0 due to the multiplier, *note* read on before you suggest what I know you're thinking)

2 nVidia XFX Geforce 8800GTX graphics cards (currently only one in the system)

8GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 memory running at stock 800MHz speed.

270GB SATA Raid 0 OS

1.36TB SATA Raid 5 Storage

750Watt Silencer PSU from PC Power and Cooling. (More than enough to power everything in system)

Vista Ultimate x64

Now then, here's the sound setups I've tried.

I've tried 2 different sound cards now:

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (don't even get me started on this card)

Supreme FX II Absolute HD sound card (this comes standard with the ASUS Striker II mobo)

And finally, I've tried using my USB headset (which have a detachable connector so I can plug them directly into sound cards).

**CURRENTLY THERE IS NO SOUND CARD INSTALLED**

I have eliminated the fact that it is headphones/speakers, as I've tried 2 completely different sets of headphones... and one set of 5.1 speakers. All different makers.

Next I thought (and it still could be) a graphics card problem. Currently I've only got one of the XFX 8800GTX cards in the system, and when I swap them out I get the same results. I also get the same results when both cards are in the system, and it doesn't matter if they're running SLI or not.

Which brings me to my mobo... I have no way of going about testing this, and I really don't want to have to deal with ASUS in doing an RMA request.

So without further ado... I bring you the ear splitting sounds of ingame action.

***WARNING***

TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS... THIS IS PAINFULL.

This one is Crysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2X_Cyte2FQ

This one is Lost Planet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8L4SD-nA7Y

Ok, now that you've heard the crazyness let me throw a couple of wrenches into the mix.

1) I get all these errors no matter if I run Direct x9 or x10

2) Sound in Half-Life/Portal/Team Fortress 2 runs pretty smoothly... although occasional light popping (which is bearable) these games are still playable.

3) These symptoms present themselves even running everything at stock speeds in the BIOS.

4) Finally sound runs smoothly in OS sounds and online, youtube runs great online browsing sounds run fine. Which is why I'm lead to believe it's a graphics problem.

I need some super help in figuring out if I need to be calling nVidia directly, ASUS directly, or both.

Before anyone suggests it, I have all the latest drivers of all hardware installed.

Anyone want to take a shot at this? Please anyone, I'm desperate at this point.

Edited by LaRue05

In my testing I ran an Xfi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty edition with no sound issues at all. Crysis, COD 4, I used the driver off of the vista disk that came with the card. No sound issues whatsoever. EAX in games? Turned on/off? I think there is a new driver on creatives site as well. Turn hardware acceleration down? Doe the popping include video stuttering?

In my testing I ran an Xfi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty edition with no sound issues at all. Crysis, COD 4, I used the driver off of the vista disk that came with the card. No sound issues whatsoever. EAX in games? Turned on/off? I think there is a new driver on creatives site as well. Turn hardware acceleration down? Doe the popping include video stuttering?

Ccokeman, what exactly did you test the X-fi with, was it an nVidia chipset mobo? From all my readings that's the main issue with the card, in that it has severe PCI conflicts with all nVidia chipset boards.

To my knowledge there is no option to turn off EAX in Crysis/Lost Planet. Wouldn't doing so put everything in stereo sound? Also, there is no hardware acceleration in Vista Ultimate x64.

And yes, ocassionally when the sound makes these awful noises the graphics do stutter a bit.

Have you tried running less RAM or higher RAM voltage?

I haven't tried less RAM, I'll do that when I get home from work tonight. As far as raising the voltage, it's already running at 1.9v and Corsair says not to go beyond 2.1v

I wonder if bringing the RAM up to 1066MHz from 800MHz will do anything?

have you tried the voltage higher? if you're running 4x2GB, you might need >1.9v

I'll definately try it Hardnrg... but I'm confused how this would effect the sound issues.

And would it be safe to exceed the 2.1v that Corsair says "It has been verified to operate at 1066MHz at latencies of 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.1VDIMM

Everywhere I've read, even on this site it's almost a Biblical no-no to go over the voltage set by the manufacturer

I'll definately try it Hardnrg... but I'm confused how this would effect the sound issues.

And would it be safe to exceed the 2.1v that Corsair says "It has been verified to operate at 1066MHz at latencies of 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.1VDIMM

Everywhere I've read, even on this site it's almost a Biblical no-no to go over the voltage set by the manufacturer

Go to start>run>dxdiag and see if it passes all the tests and if their are any errors listed in the bottom window. Not just for the sound tab, but for all of them.

What? It's a no-no NOT to go over the rated voltage, this is the OverclockersClub after all :P

Go to start>run>dxdiag and see if it passes all the tests and if their are any errors listed in the bottom window. Not just for the sound tab, but for all of them.

Ah... good idea for sure, don't know why I hadn't thought of that one. I'm putting that on my list of things to do too when I get home.

What? It's a no-no NOT to go over the rated voltage, this is the OverclockersClub after all :P

Point well taken, I just don't see how pushing the hardware even more is going to alleviate current issues. However, like I stated above I will go in and set the voltage of the DIMMS to 2.1v

Ok, so I got this as a response in one of the other forums that I'm a member of, but it's unclear to me what he is talking about.

"Turn off all sound efects etc for the soundcard, Vista does not suport audio hardware, XtremeGamer should do perfectly fine with everything disabled.

Creative Alchemy will let the card work normal again with a lot of game but Crysis uses DirectSound wich it cant do anything with at all in Vista.

OpenAL games work fine on there own because Vista doesnt encodfe it, for DirectSound3D how ever you need Creative Alchemy, but as said before this doesnt work if the game uses a sound engine like Crysis wich is just DirectSound."

Can anyone make some sense of this?

Is he talking about re-installing the X-fi and then disabling all effects of the card itself through it's sound manager program; as well as turning off all Vista Services such as "windows audio"

And where does DirectSound come into the picture?.... this part thoroughly confuses me.

Edited by LaRue05

UPDATE

I have effectively rulled out that it is a memory issue, as I booted the machine on all four DIMMS seperately in slot 1 of the motherboard. I would try booting from a seperate slot, but you always have to have at least one DIMM in slot 1 to run the motherboard. So ruling out that it is a memory issue rasing the voltage of the DIMMs is now a moot point.

I also ran DXDIAG as suggested above and recieved no errors on any tabs, which leads me to believe this is a software error of some sort?

I'm so stumped. I don't want to RMA my motherboard!!!

Grrrr....