Dvd Ripper/ipod Video Converter

Sly_C

Two part question here. First what software do you guys use to rip dvd's? And before anyone says anything, I will only be ripping DVD's I own. Also, what software do you guys use to convert your videos (WMV, MPEG, AVI, DIVX, DVD) to MPEG-4's so you can put them on your ipod? I tried Xilisoft's DVD ripper and Ipod Video converter and they both blew, the audio and video were not in sync at all when using Xilisoft's software.

Two part question here. First what software do you guys use to rip dvd's? And before anyone says anything, I will only be ripping DVD's I own. Also, what software do you guys use to convert your videos (WMV, MPEG, AVI, DIVX, DVD) to MPEG-4's so you can put them on your ipod? I tried Xilisoft's DVD ripper and Ipod Video converter and they both blew, the audio and video were not in sync at all when using Xilisoft's software.

Why do people think ripping your own DVDs makes it magically legal? :blink:

Anyway, I personally use AnyDVD to rip DVDs and DVD Shrink to bring them down to a manageable size. For my iPhone, I use a program called Handbrake on the ripped DVD folder. With its many profiles, you can choose exactly what you need the file for.

Why do people think ripping your own DVDs makes it magically legal? :blink:

Anyway, I personally use AnyDVD to rip DVDs and DVD Shrink to bring them down to a manageable size. For my iPhone, I use a program called Handbrake on the ripped DVD folder. With its many profiles, you can choose exactly what you need the file for.

It is "Fair Use" to make a backup or convert to another format something you own or have license to play/watch. While illegal to CREATE software that defeats copy-Protection, it is legal to circumvent that same copy protection for fair use purposes.

Section 1201 of the DCMA divides technological measures into two categories: measures that prevent unauthorized access to a copyrighted work and measures that prevent unauthorized copying of a copyrighted work. Making or selling devices or services that are used to circumvent either category of technological measure is prohibited in certain circumstances, described below. ****As to the act of circumvention in itself, the provision prohibits circumventing the first category of technological measures, but not the second. ****

This distinction was employed to assure that the public will have the continued ability to make fair use of copyrighted works. Since copying of a work may be a fair use under appropriate circumstances, section 1201 does not prohibit the act of circumventing a technological measure that prevents copying. By contrast, since the fair use doctrine is not a defense to the act of gaining unauthorized access to a work, the act of circumventing a technological measure in order to gain access is prohibited.

oh and thanks for the reccomendation on what to use.

i like this program probably close to the best for ease and quick:

http://guspaz.blogspot.com/2006/09/ipoddrop-15-released.html

you just drag the file onto it and it takes care of it. supports smp too since its based on fmpeg

i would also look at media coder, i have a version i use to convert stuff that breaks ipoddrop, it happens occasionaly on random files

It is "Fair Use" to make a backup or convert to another format something you own or have license to play/watch. While illegal to CREATE software that defeats copy-Protection, it is legal to circumvent that same copy protection for fair use purposes.

Section 1201 of the DCMA divides technological measures into two categories: measures that prevent unauthorized access to a copyrighted work and measures that prevent unauthorized copying of a copyrighted work. Making or selling devices or services that are used to circumvent either category of technological measure is prohibited in certain circumstances, described below. ****As to the act of circumvention in itself, the provision prohibits circumventing the first category of technological measures, but not the second. ****

This distinction was employed to assure that the public will have the continued ability to make fair use of copyrighted works. Since copying of a work may be a fair use under appropriate circumstances, section 1201 does not prohibit the act of circumventing a technological measure that prevents copying. By contrast, since the fair use doctrine is not a defense to the act of gaining unauthorized access to a work, the act of circumventing a technological measure in order to gain access is prohibited.

oh and thanks for the reccomendation on what to use.

I love discussions like these, they get me to go and read the actual law itself.

While you are correct about section 1201, your analysis is flawed. Yes, backing up a DVD can be considered fair use. However, you need to break the encryption of a DVD in order to get to the movie itself. When you read Title I of the DMCA, you find that creating software to break this encryption is a violation of the law. As such, usage of this software would also be construed as breaking the law as you would be engaging in contributory infringement.

So while ripping the movie off of a DVD most certainly falls under the purview of the fair use doctrine, bypassing the encryption on that DVD is clearly not.

I love discussions like these, they get me to go and read the actual law itself.

While you are correct about section 1201, your analysis is flawed. Yes, backing up a DVD can be considered fair use. However, you need to break the encryption of a DVD in order to get to the movie itself. When you read Title I of the DMCA, you find that creating software to break this encryption is a violation of the law. As such, usage of this software would also be construed as breaking the law as you would be engaging in contributory infringement.

So while ripping the movie off of a DVD most certainly falls under the purview of the fair use doctrine, bypassing the encryption on that DVD is clearly not.

While breaking encryption for things you own hasn't been deemed legal for all cases look over the case of Kaleidescape vs DVD-CCA, where the court ruled that they were not breaking the law when they broke the dvd encryption when using their media servers. IMO, if you are breaking the encryption of the DVD for your own backup copy or to store on a media server/iPod it is well within your bounds to do so. Show me one case where any one individula has been sued for breaking the encryption to back up their own dvd's and not to pirate them and distribute them over the internet/bootleg them for personal gain. I doubt you will find any.

Ripping:

DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 (downloading or generating Protected Sector List files if necessary)

or

AnyDVD (if the former doesn't work)

Encoding:

DVD Rebuilder* and CCE SP 2.70 Trial** (for a DVD retaining some/all menus, multi-angle, extras, etc)

DVD2SVCD (DVD-DVD mode) using DSRoBa method with CCE SP 2.70 Trial (for movie file only)

GordianKnot (for x264, DivX, XviD) using LAME (for stereo MP3), OggEnc (for 5.1 OggVorbis) or just using original AC3/DTS

XviD4PSP (for x264 on PSP)

VirtualDubMod and SUPER (for 3GP/MP4 video clips on Sony Ericsson)

* there is a free version and a paid version... even the free version is better than DVD Shrink

** you can use this indefinitely without watermarks/nags/workarounds/etc

that's what I use... I've been converting video for a while though haha... DVD Rebuilder Free is only slightly harder to use than DVD Shrink and the results are much better IMO

if you find you don't particularly like Handbrake, XviD4PSP can convert to iPod formats

awesome, noticed in your post you didn't say anything about iPods, so I just went with handbrake, I think I'll try both of them on a small file and see which one I like better.