64-bit Os - Should I Do It?

cspizz

GPU: [old] ATI All-in-Wonder 9000+

Please tell me you're going to be replacing that????

That is beyond a bottleneck to the rest of your system, that's like a syringe neck. Seriously, you're wasting your money on the other parts if you're not going to upgrade that.

That bad, huh? What do you suggest? Like I said, I'm not a gamer, so I have no need for a high-end card (although I've been tempted b/c they look so cool). I occasionally watch movies on my PC and I've done some video and picture editing (and expect to do a lot more as time wears on). I would like a TV turner, maybe something that can pick up HD, and capture video/record programs (the ATI card does that, that's why I figured I could get away with it). Like most ppl, I routinely watch streaming video.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but isn't that particular AIW an AGP card? Also if he ends up going Vista how would it preform there?

Could always pick up like a GeForce 8400 for about $40 from newegg.

On topic, am I assuming correctly that the 64 bit Vista version comes with every version but basic? In other words it doesn't matter if you buy the home premium 32 bit or not the 64 bit comes with it?

Well I know for a fact that if you buy Vista Ultimate Retail it comes with 32 and 64 bit DVDs

The 64-bit editions of Windows Vista—available for all editions of Windows Vista except Starter

If you bought Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business as a retail, packaged product, and you would like a DVD of 64-bit software media to install on your PC, please choose your language:

Note: 64-bit media is included in the box with Windows Vista Ultimate.

source

so yes only Ultimate retail comes with the 64 bit dvd in the Retail box of Vista, you can get the 64-bit dvd from microsoft I want to say that it's like $10 but I'm not sure you can order the dvd from here. But the key that came with Home premium will work for a 64-bit install of home premium.

Yea but isn't that particular AIW an AGP card? Also if he ends up going Vista how would it preform there?

Could always pick up like a GeForce 8400 for about $40 from newegg.

:withstupid: You can pick up a low-end 8-series card for cheap, and like RimX said, will your board even support the 9000+?

On topic, am I assuming correctly that the 64 bit Vista version comes with every version but basic? In other words it doesn't matter if you buy the home premium 32 bit or not the 64 bit comes with it?

Not in OEM, which is what one should buy since it's much cheaper. In OEM, you choose either 32 or 64.