Sign in to follow this  
CrackHead

System Upgrade: Motherboard, Processor & Memory

After months of toying with the idea of upgrading my system, I have once in for all now is the time...Before I do so I wanted to run a couple of possible ideas by yall and see what happens... A lot has changed in the world of computers since my last system upgrade leaving me sorta in the dark on a lot of things. Rather talking about something I know nothing about, let me tell you what I do know and hopefully we can meet somewhere in the middle. First of all is that my computer just isn't cutting it for me anymore hence the reason for this post. Aside from the occasional gaming, I primary use my computer for digital imaging, video encoding/decoding, and school work. Despite AMD's incredibly low prices, not to mention my previous issues with their competitor, I decided to go back to "light side" of Intel once again. All in all, I'm looking to spend around ~$550 for this upgrade endeavor of mine (the lower the better). With that being said, here is what I have come up with thus far:

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W $0.00 - Left over from CompUSA closing sale

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX $169.99

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB $209.99

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 $144.99

Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb $0.00 - Comming out of current system

Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 $0.00 - Comming out of current system

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic $0.00 - Comming out of current system

Keep in mind I'm not the guy who knows the inner workings of a component, but instead just your everyday user with a little bit of experience; try and keep your answers as idiot proof as possible lol. As always what I am really looking for is; your thoughts on the parts I have choosen, any possible issues that I need to be aware of, changes you would make, and will it work!

Thanks in Advanced...

BUDGET: ~$550

---------------------------------------------

Current System

Power Supply: Antec Neo HE 550-Watt

Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400

Graphics Card: XFX 6800GS

I know you're not paying for it, but selling the 1000W PSU and keeping your NeoHE 550W would be your best bet. It's got enough power and it's a good PSU.

For the RAM, I'd pick up these Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB DDR2-800 for 100$. No real need for 1066 RAM in that system :)