Lawsuit By Ultra Products Against Lots Of Psu Manufacturers

Read the news post here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/22059/

Although I think it's funny that they only sue them now, I do believe that this could turn nasty, as Ultra really is right if they got the patent first. What are your thoughts on this?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh, Maybe, Ultra's quality has increased signifcantly since the first X Connects.. -looks over at my good old paper weight-

Not that I would ever buy one.. Again. :P

Edited by Ste

I do believe that this could turn nasty, as Ultra really is right if they got the patent first. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm somewhat certain that by waiting this long to take action against the other brands Ultra has largely implied that it was acceptable for others to produce modular PSUs making their case look more like the "money grabbing because we suck at making PSUs" attempt it really is. Also let's face it, I'm sure the legal team this list (Antec, Inc., Channel Well Technology Co. Ltd., Channel Well Technology Co. U.S.A., Inc., Corsair Memory, Inc., Enhance Electronics Co. Ltd., E-Power Technology/PCMCIS, SPI Electronic Co. Ltd., FSP Group USA Corp., Koolance USA, Mushkin, Inc., OCZ Technology, Sea Sonic Electronics Co. Ltd., Silverstone Technology, Inc., Spire-Bytecom Fanner Corporation, Tagan Technology Co. Ltd., Tagan Technology Co., Thermaltake Technology Co. Ltd., Thermaltake, Inc., Topower Computer Industrial Co. Ltd., Topower Computer U.S.A., Inc., Zalman Technology Company Ltd. and Zalman USA, Inc.) can produce will have a bit better chance at winning than whatever team Ultra has put together.

If Ultra had done this back when the first few modular PSUs were released by the competition I would be 100% behind their decision, however this late all it looks like they hope to achieve is "damages" for each of the modular PSUs the other sold, and like RR said, just a way to cover the RMAs from their crappy products.

Ehh, Maybe, Ultra's quality has increased signifcantly since the first X Connects..

Not really, they got some new ppl making SOME of their PSUs but as you can see here not only is the quality of many still total crap, but they are also so low as to claim SLI certification on the product.

I agree that this is a quick buck move on Ultra's part. If it was really a problem they should have done this a long time ago. I have only owned one Ultra PSU and it was the last Ultra PSU I will ever own.

ROFL these is not going to get them anything in court the judge will look at it and laugh. then he is going to ask them why the long wait and why didn't you file when you first saw other companies using this tech. its to late now this is just a dirty move by ultra either to get money or wanting to loan or have there pat bought out by another company.

Not really, they got some new ppl making SOME of their PSUs but as you can see here not only is the quality of many still total crap, but they are also so low as to claim SLI certification on the product.

Certainly better than the orignal X Connects.

The X3's are ok..

But Like I said, I would never purchase any of it. :P

Me, I stick to

PC Power and Cooling

Corsair

Silverstone

Seasonic

Edited by Ste

I never had an Ultra PSU, I went for Aspire (Apevia) :P Also crap, but I learned my lesson from there (it didn't die or melt, but then again it was a 3700+ @ stock + 7800GT only on there :rolleyes:). I guess I didn't state it in the opening post, but I am with you guys as far as the "sue to get money" idea is concerned. The link for the Ultra review cchalo provided was indeed an interesting read, considering the fact that they're labeling a crappy 600W unit as 750W.... :rolleyes:

I searched the US Patent database and don't see any such patent in Ultra's name, nor anything for modular power supplies. I'd be curious to see the patent...hope the patent # is released soon.