900w Power Supply Tested

Nemo

The guru reviewed this power supply, and it failed by much..

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...ory&reid=92

By the time a minute was up, the power supply went into seizures, making a tick-tick-tick noise as the LED fan pulsed on and off. Why, here's the true source of Harry Potter's mysterious ticking noise - it was the Warlock all along.

rofl2.gif

The guru reviewed this power supply, and it failed by much..

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...ory&reid=92

I just read through it. It didn't fail by much, merely the fact that it was overrated by 100W, which caused most of the problems. They're much more experienced than I was and obviously I don't have the components or equipment to test it at or near the full 900W (OC'd quadcore, dual 9800s maybe? otherwise a dedicated PSU testing station.). But like they said in accordance to my review, it's pretty good at slightly lower loads (Under 800W).

This unit could have turned things around, in my eyes, for those of us who just want a good quality unit. As an 800W unit, this PSU would have gotten a much higher score.

OC'd quadcore, dual 9800s maybe?

You'd need a lot more than that to get anywhere near 900W.

It is one thing to consider when looking at high wattage supplies.

In general, you're not going to get near the wattage that they are labelled as being able to deliver (You'd need 2 physical CPUs and probably 3 top end graphics cards to start really hammering the 12v rails).

Bearing that in mind, you probably won't even notice if you have a mediocre high wattage PSU or a great one in most real world circumstances.

It's still no excuse for mislabelling what a product can actually do of course.

Edited by jammin

But, as if that weren't enough, take a peek at the voltage readings. In test one, the 3.3V rail is almost out of spec on the high side. In test five, the 3.3V rail is out of spec on the low side. That's terrible regulation. The 5V also goes out of spec on the low side. The 12V rail is the shining beacon out of all this, showing no major fluctuation in any test. The crossload tests also have some interesting tales to tell, where in test CL1 the unit again drops below spec on the 3.3V/5V rails and is nearly kissing the high end of the spec on test CL2. Atrocious. I must say that for what appears to be an independently regulated unit, we are getting some stunningly bad numbers from it.

Like I said, a person really needs a machine to properly test them....