Ras Async Adapter

aleeser

I need some help on this one...Trying to install the Netgear WGR614v7, and its telling me I have more then one network adapter, and tells me what they are: Nvidia nForce network controller, Nvidia nForce controller #2, and the RAS Async Adapter. Because of this, Netgear says I need to go 'wired'. No can do, gotta be wireless.

I went into device manager, disabled the unused Nvidia controller, the other one is my internet connection, which leaves the RAS Async Adapter. Device manager doesn't give me the option to disable. Uninstall only. Not having any idea what this driver does, if I'm even using it or not, did a complete backup, and tried to uninstall this driver. Windows will not let me uninstall.

How can I uninstall or delete this driver? Somehow, I need to show Netgear that I only have ONE network adapter before going wireless. If getting rid of this driver is not possible, can I use this driver for my internet connection, and get rid of the other Nvidia adapter?

Did a little reasearch on the Ras driver, it was installed by the OS, Vista x64, thats all I know. Anyone tell me what its for, if I need it?

The other two Nvidia adapters came with the mainboard (signature).

I'm open to any and all help, thanks!

No Nemo, no modem installed, just using an external plug & play cable modem. I did check that thread out, it doesnt pretain to me, I think. This system is a new build, so I haven't installed any worthless drivers or programs I dont need other then what the OS put on here, Vista x64.

Hmmmm, RAS is usually for dial up connections. Have you thought about running the repair tool in that thread to see if you could get it to uninstall?

EDIT:

Wait a minute, could the system think you need to dial in in order to get the DSL connection?

No Nemo, didnt try the repair wizard. I wouldnt know why this thing thinks I need a dialup driver, maybe 10 years ago! Lol

Seriously though, I was at wits end, finally resorted to online support with Microsoft. Was with them online for 4 1/2 hours without success. They dont know, they tried this and that....on and on...Lastly, they are thinking I have a hardware issue that I might have to contact my vendors. Well, I guess everybody else needs to check with their vendors too, eh? Drives me nuts, they create a driver in an OS they also created, and they dont know how to uninstall it. Especially, when the driver has a uninstall feature! I'll keep you posted about this issue, its apparent they're several others that need this fix too. Meanwhile...guess I'll run into town and get an ethernet cable and do the 'wired' thing. Thanks for the help!

Oh yea, didn't want you all to think I was bad mouthing Microsoft, they gave it their best shot with the support, they really did. I'm just a little aggravated, understandably.

Edited by aleeser

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

I created a fix, well, with help with a friend of mine. After another 2 1/2 hours today with Microsoft without success, I created a disable button for that driver, Ras Async Adapter! This is the only adapter under networks, that doesn't have a disable button, now I have one! Heres how:

Drive C, Windows, System 32, Drivers, Asyncmac.Sys, right click, rename that driver to Asyncmac_Sys.Bak. Then go back to device manager, view, show hidden devices, and there is a big ol' yellow ! next to that driver. Right click, it now has a disable button!!!!! I dont recommend uninstall, might run across something where you might need this driver. If so, rename to original name, a done deal.

I have my wireless network, now i'm off to other things! :thumbs-up: