Sign in to follow this  
CrackHead

Ahhhhh....bsod

I am about at my whits end with windows and it's problems, (in all fairness also using a rig I built myself). Nothing is more frustrating than being in the middle of working on something and all of a sudden you are staring at the blue screen of death. It seems with everyday I get more and more BSODs. Last night I got 3 freaking BSODs in the period of ~80mins and the only thing I was doing was listening to music! Not only that, but the events occurred at the most peculiar times - when the computer was basically idle, as I was usually about half way through the song vs the typical senerio of having the BSOD come up right when you add a song to your playlist (load).

My question for the members of OCC would be how to I go about troubleshooting this issue. If I was smart I would have wrote down the message that appeared on the screen when the BSOD first came up; however I was chest deep in school work (have I mentioned I hate midterms) and I knew if I stopped for just a quick second I would get off task (one downside of adderall).

Any help would be much appeciated...

-CrackHead

Well a good place to start would be to run a virus scan, undo any hardware/driver changes you may have made and running repair using your Windows CD. It also wouldn't hurt to run memtest to make sure your ram isn't crapping out on you. That's my general procedure for BSODs though I haven't had one in who knows how long...

Go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System/Advanced

In the Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings button

In the System failure section, uncheck the Automatically restart button

In the Write debugging information make sure you have - Small memory dump (64KB) selected.

When the next BSOD happens, write down any error information. Also, in C:\Windows there should be a file called minidump.dmp, or at least a file with a .dmp extension. You can post the file here and I can run it through the Windows kernel debugger.

Is the rig OC'd at all? If it is, post the CPU and RAM voltages and timings... sometimes you have to set the memory voltage/timings manually for it to be stable, even if you aren't overclocking

iKillSteal:

Ran a virus scan, and just as I suspected nothing came up (that I didn't know about). I haven't changed anything recently that would affect system stability, although it probabily doesn't help that this problem has been occurring for some time now. I went ahead and downloaded the latest memtest which I will burn to a cd and run a later on this evening.

Nemo:

Sure enough it happened again, unfortunatly I hadn't made the advised changes yet so I don't have a mini-dump (I should have one soon the way things have been going). I did however have time to write down the information that was on screen.

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x9B0BA140,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x9B00C2A2)

Win32k.sys - Address 9B0BA140 @ 9AEF000
Win32k.sys - Address 9B00C2A2 @ 9AEF000

hardnrg:

Nope, everything is at their default value...

Edited by CrackHead

I'm guessing we're looking at some sort of driver conflict, but that's just a guess. Hopefully we can get some info out of the minidump file the next time it crashes.