Sign in to follow this  
Andrewr05

Gran Turismo

Well I know a lot of you guys on here are into racing games and GT in general.

Just a random thread with some info later...

I was just wondering what your favorite versions of GT are?

I'm gonna make a poll at some point if any of you are interested?

I think in terms of fun (despite its quite outdated graphics) GT2 takes the cake.

I loved the ability to turn your car into a race spec version after you maxed it out (full car transformation practically)

I just like it overall.

Now graphics wise of course I'd have to go with GT4 as I haven't played any prologue/concept versions...

Anyways some enlightening info:

Gran Turismo 5 may have damage models

Some criticisms for GT4 that really need to be fixed in GT5:

One thing I noticed on was the lack of engine noise variations between different cars, also the full tune engine sound wasn't very distinguishable between a lot of cars...

Also in GT4 the AI cars would follow the same race line NO MATTER where you were at the time, you could be in front of them and break a bit earlier and it would not send that info to the AI... The stupid bastards would just slam right into you, sending you careening of into a wall or sand bank. Not to mention if you were to the left or right of the AI's race line they would bump you just to keep their line.

GT4's rally racing has been the most atrocious rally racing so far in GT.

It was biased, the AI could SMASH right into you (from the afore mentioned "race line") but if you tap the AI at 30MPH you got the god damn 5 second penalty...

They need to make the lines non-linear and give some variation to the AI, seriously it just pisses you off sometimes...

Not to mention the fact that actually maintaining a drift was nearly impossible to do correctly without smashing into a wall, severely losing speed, getting the GOD DAMN 5 second penalty, or all of the above.

Now if they in fact are going to implement damage to the vehicles I would prefer it to be more than just cosmetic.

Games have been doing it for years there is no reason (IMHO) that it can't be implemented.

That way you actual are enticed to not grind walls/other cars etc that way instead of a 5 second penalty you incur some sort of dame to your vehicle that effects steering/suspension/downforce/top speed etc..

I love certain parts of GTt yet I hate others...

Back to the racing models...

Why on earth did they take that feature out?

I remember spending countless hours racking up money to see what the car looked like as a racing model.

Ahhhhh GT2 the good old days, you could actually drift in that game as well...

What do you guys think?

GT2, the first proper driving sim i played and the one that got me hooked :) Although i dont remember drifting in it lol (i always tried to go quickly ;)) Suppose i could also mention Forza motorsport as it is also a pretty awsome game (i was devastated when i accidentally deleted my profile on it by bashing the wrong button without stopping to read the message (it should really be 'are you INSANE, do not enter the 5 button combination to delete your profile' lol))

My fondest memories are of GT2. But I spent the most time on that one. I played 3 a bit but I never really gave it enough time to get the controls down and really enjoy it. I liked the better graphics, but the severe reduction of car models was too high a cost, IMO. I haven't played 4 at all.

Yea, that's a pitfall of forza as well, you can only buy the top of the range model where as i liked having a choice of different models and engine sizes. Also, they didnt include any BMW's which i think are just awsome and would love to thrash round a track.

My fondest memories are of GT2.
GT2 is the only one I ever played. It was one of the first PS games I bought I think, and it's the game that made me fall in love with the Viper (not to mention, that was the best car in the game when fully loaded).

Ah, the memories of me and my brother tag-teaming the endurance races of gt2.

Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak FTW.

I played 3 a good bit also. but not nearly as much as 2.

Havent played any since that

and it's the game that made me fall in love with the Viper (not to mention, that was the best car in the game when fully loaded).
O rly?

See below post...

Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak FTW.
AGREED

You could get that thing over 300MPH easy...

O rly?

See below post...

AGREED

You could get that thing over 300MPH easy...

I said best car, not fastest. Yeah, if you were doing the speed races, there were a few cars that could beat the Viper, but I always found the Viper had the best combo of speed and control.

I said best car, not fastest. Yeah, if you were doing the speed races, there were a few cars that could beat the Viper, but I always found the Viper had the best combo of speed and control.

In GT1, I found the Mitsubishi GTO Twin-turbo to be quite the formidable vehicle :) 4WD made it a breeze to drive.

In GT1, I found the Mitsubishi GTO Twin-turbo to be quite the formidable vehicle :) 4WD made it a breeze to drive.
Hell yeah the GTO was sick car!

;)

Nostalgia:

gtottrq2.jpg

Edited by Andrewr05

I played GT1/2/3/4 religiously till I got Forza 2...haven't looked back. The damage model, engine sounds, AI, physics, and the graphics just keep me from going back.

I bought my PS2 for the sole reason of playing GT3 on release day. :P

I've played Forza and I quite like it, too bad I'm a Playstation fanboy and can't stand any other controller...