Sign in to follow this  
DLS2008

Help Save Xp!!!

Vista cannot compare with XP in gaming at the moment and I do not think it will for a while yet. I still play Joint Operations now and then when taking a break from COD4, in which NOVA encountered so many problems with people using Vista. Why must re-install Vista when if I really put time into XP I can get almost just as much out of XP as Vista.

Where are the days when I could play Wing Commander IV with Windows 95 lol. This argument will carry on I'm sure for a couple of years yet, but hopefully microsoft will have sorted the issues out by then. Then we will be having the next discussion for the next Microsoft project to come out.

Vista cannot compare with XP in gaming at the moment and I do not think it will for a while yet. I still play Joint Operations now and then when taking a break from COD4, in which NOVA encountered so many problems with people using Vista. Why must re-install Vista when if I really put time into XP I can get almost just as much out of XP as Vista.

Where are the days when I could play Wing Commander IV with Windows 95 lol. This argument will carry on I'm sure for a couple of years yet, but hopefully microsoft will have sorted the issues out by then. Then we will be having the next discussion for the next Microsoft project to come out.

Play games in DX10 and you may think differently. It's noticeable, trust me. It may not be worth it to those that don't already have DX10 cards, but if you have one and play games with DX10 support, you're definitely missing out by sticking with XP.

Vista isn't that bad like everyone is making it out to be, everything just got a bit rearranged which is really the only complaint I have against it.

I've got business, and the only thing that it doesn't have over both Home editions are games... which is very annoying lol

EDIT: Games meaning built in games. Business doesn't have any. (solitaire etc.)

Play games in DX10 and you may think differently. It's noticeable, trust me. It may not be worth it to those that don't already have DX10 cards, but if you have one and play games with DX10 support, you're definitely missing out by sticking with XP.

That's really a moot argument given the low number of PC games that utilize DX10. I'd agree completely if every game and it's v1.0 Grandmother supported DX10 but that's really not the case. I simply can't find a way to justify jumping OS' just to have more realistic smoke, water, lighting, etc in a handful of games. There has to be something else enticing with it and Vista, for me at least, has nothing else that would push me to use it. That's obviously going to be different for everyone.

Vista isn't that bad like everyone is making it out to be, everything just got a bit rearranged which is really the only complaint I have against it.

I've got business, and the only thing that it doesn't have over both Home editions are games... which is very annoying lol

I disliked Vista in the beginning(completely opposite to XP which I loved. Gen. gap maybe?) I've accepted the fact that they're going to coat-hanger XP sooner or later and it doesn't bother me anymore. I'll swap some day but until vista becomes an absolute necessity for PC gaming, XP is going to be the only OS you'll find on my HD besides various flavors of linux but that's a whole other thread.

Of course Vista is faster than XP on today's hardware, XP is almost seven years old. It had better run faster. I can't believe that Crysis requires better hardware than COD2! :rolleyes:

I dont believe you got the jist my post.

I'll use the Crysis game you already brought up as an example...

For XP it recommends at minimum:

2.8ghz proc

1gb ram

256mb 9800pro

Now for Vista, the same exact game needs:

3.2ghz proc

1.5gb ram

x800 Pro

That is a much faster cpu, 500 more mb of ram, and a much quicker graphics card to run the same game, same settings. It is horribly inefficient!

For XP it recommends at minimum:

2.8ghz proc

1gb ram

256mb 9800pro

Now for Vista, the same exact game needs:

3.2ghz proc

1.5gb ram

x800 Pro

That is a much faster cpu, 500 more mb of ram, and a much quicker graphics card to run the same game, same settings. It is horribly inefficient!

It's kinda wrong though...the only real thing you need more of in Vista is RAM. Sure, the game will be *slightly* slower but when you're looking at 30 fps a 5% difference in speed is next to nothing.

I was being real with the comment about XP being old and that it had better run faster than Vista on new hardware. I was being sarcastic with the Crysis comment. I just used Crysis as an example. No one seems to think that new games and apps that require better hardware and use more RAM are a big deal, but they complain about on OS.

I wasn't a big fan of Vista when it first came out, but then I gave it another try a couple of months later for my HTPC and it's been running great for me. If I threw in another gig of RAM, I'm sure it would run even smoother.

The only problem I really have with vista is its massive amount of resources it runs. It's just really annoying to have 500mb of memory sitting there full with all these dumb processes open that aren't necessary. If they could do something about the resources it'd be like night and day for me. Thats really my only complaint about Vista. Otherwise DX10 FTW!

I was being real with the comment about XP being old and that it had better run faster than Vista on new hardware. I was being sarcastic with the Crysis comment. I just used Crysis as an example. No one seems to think that new games and apps that require better hardware and use more RAM are a big deal, but they complain about on OS.

I guess we should be glad there is new faster hardware to run vista or it really would be slow....