Overclocking E8400 On Striker Extreme

troy5061

Hi all,

Im trying to overclock my E8400 on the striker and need some help, so far I have it up to 3.6 and its stable but im a little short of my goal to reach 4.0ghz. Also im having trouble getting my ram to run at the stock speed on this board I can only run it from 800-850 and its rated for 1066. Any help on settings is greatly appreciated. system specs are below

E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz 1.4vcore only shows 1.29 in cpuz

Asus Striker Extreme 1503 bios all of the spread spectrum and other cpu options are disabled

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7

Kingston Hyper X 1066 pc2 8500 2.2v 5-5-5-15 2T

74 gb Raptor

250gb Seagate Barracuda

8800gt 512 Akimbo

Soundblaster Audigy

600w ultra p/s

All other voltages are set to auto.

This was so much easier on the P5B-Deluxe all I had to to was put VCore at 1.35 and voila 4.0Ghz, this board is turning out to be alot more challenging when ocing a E8400

Edited by troy5061

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes It is..

The Asus Striker series is supposed to be an Enthusiast board much like DFI's lanparty series.

And I'd expect your 965 chipset board to actually overclock better than this board with less adjustments.

The board just needs some tweaking and voltage increases to get it to go higher.

What Type of cooling do you have... and what are your temps like ?

If you could also post a batch code/ Production date for that E8400.

1.4V is pretty high for a E8400 to be stable @ 3.6 ghz.

Try these Tips:

Lower your Vcore to 1.3V in the bios

Raise your NB voltage to 1.45V

Raise the SB voltage to 1.5V

Raise the HT Link Voltage to 1.37 ( somwhere close )

Read this Guide Nvidia 680i Overclocking Guide

If your going to have your ram running anywhere b/w 800-900 mhz then set 4-4-4-12 2T @ 2.1V

Edited by Shadowfactor

Well yes It is..

The Asus Striker series is supposed to be an Enthusiast board much like DFI's lanparty series.

And I'd expect your 965 chipset board to actually overclock better than this board with less adjustments.

The board just needs some tweaking and voltage increases to get it to go higher.

What Type of cooling do you have... and what are your temps like ?

If you could also post a batch code/ Production date for that E8400.

1.4V is pretty high for a E8400 to be stable @ 3.6 ghz.

Try these Tips:

Lower your Vcore to 1.3V in the bios

Raise your NB voltage to 1.45V

Raise the SB voltage to 1.5V

Raise the HT Link Voltage to 1.37 ( somwhere close )

Read this Guide Nvidia 680i Overclocking Guide

If your going to have your ram running anywhere b/w 800-900 mhz then set 4-4-4-12 2T @ 2.1V

Cooling:

I have an Arctic Freezer 7 and my case has very good cooling, two 120mm fans 1 front 1 rear and a 250mm on the side. I get about 38 idle and 55 running orthos.

Ram:

I screwed up on the ram i do have it set to auto which bios sets at like 2.15 not 2.2v as per kingstons website which says 1.8 for 800mhz and 2.2 for 1066. I will try to lower my timings but kingstons website still says 5-5-5-15 for both 800mhz and 1066mhz.

Why is there such a difference in voltage 1.4v in bios to 1.27-1.29 in cpuz at idle.

Thanks for the help I think your on the right track where I need to up the voltages on the board and lower the cpu voltage, I will try all of your recommendations tonight when I get home.

Cooling:

I have an Arctic Freezer 7 and my case has very good cooling, two 120mm fans 1 front 1 rear and a 250mm on the side. I get about 38 idle and 55 running orthos.

Ram:

I screwed up on the ram i do have it set to auto which bios sets at like 2.15 not 2.2v as per kingstons website which says 1.8 for 800mhz and 2.2 for 1066. I will try to lower my timings but kingstons website still says 5-5-5-15 for both 800mhz and 1066mhz.

Why is there such a difference in voltage 1.4v in bios to 1.27-1.29 in cpuz at idle.

Thanks for the help I think your on the right track where I need to up the voltages on the board and lower the cpu voltage, I will try all of your recommendations tonight when I get home.

I have 1600fsb and 800mhz ram running linked asyncronous right now any change on this?

Edited by troy5061

Guest ajmatson

If you can post you CPU-z main and memory screen shots here so we can see exactly whats going on. :)

Intel CPU's always are lower than what the BIOS says

If you can post you CPU-z main and memory screen shots here so we can see exactly whats going on. :)

Intel CPU's always are lower than what the BIOS says

No problem ill have get a bunch up around 5:45

btw take the voltages off auto, excess voltage is what will damage parts and not controlling them is dangerous (ie, a large overclock may result in a large, uneccesary, voltage increase) Set them to the stock and increase them only when you feel you need to.

btw take the voltages off auto, excess voltage is what will damage parts and not controlling them is dangerous (ie, a large overclock may result in a large, uneccesary, voltage increase) Set them to the stock and increase them only when you feel you need to.

Are the voltages above mentioned by shadowfactor a good place to set them? as I do not know what the stock voltages should all be for this board.

ya those voltages are what the nvidia overclocking guide says.

but with the 1.5 volts on the NB. Your temps might go above 45 on the NB which will cause instability.

Also i've found SB temps above 45c will start to cause instability also.

putting a fan blowing on the NB will help with temps.

SB voltages have a decent amount of affect on stability so giving the SB a decent amount of volts but also keeping it cool plays a huge part.

Like I asked before what is your production date/ batch code for the E8400. Its found on the box.

also what's the chips ViD found by using the program core temps.

ya those voltages are what the nvidia overclocking guide says.

but with the 1.5 volts on the NB. Your temps might go above 45 on the NB which will cause instability.

Also i've found SB temps above 45c will start to cause instability also.

putting a fan blowing on the NB will help with temps.

SB voltages have a decent amount of affect on stability so giving the SB a decent amount of volts but also keeping it cool plays a huge part.

Like I asked before what is your production date/ batch code for the E8400. Its found on the box.

also what's the chips ViD found by using the program core temps.

Ok will do. Ill get the codes off the box when I get home from work and ill check coretemp for the vid.

What about my PCIE Mhz, just leave them all at 100mhz?

Do you guys think my ram problem is the voltages on the board?

Also im guessing run unlinked at say 1780/800 to try and get my cpu up there then start working on getting the ram to run linked either 890 or 1132??? depending on the ratio

Edited by troy5061

I tried the above suggestion and i get to windows but it locks as soon as i get in.

I now have modified my settings at 3.6 to the above settings and my v core is at 1.3v cpuz reads 1.2 and it seems to be stable

Cpu Vtt voltage what should this be at? its the only auto I have left.

even tried

1.4 vcore

nb 1.5

sb 1.5

ht link 1.4

memory 2.1 unlinked @ 800 and it did the same thing.