Yet Another College Thread

romeo55

Meh... I'm a junior in HS... starting to get a little worried about college (Full Blown SAT/ACT in a couple months). Do you guys have any suggestions about picking out colleges?

I'm a little vague as far as what I want to do... something involving engineering (automotive?), but more importantly, computer/electrical science/engineering (hardware aspect basically). Any good colleges you'd recommend that have some good computer engineering programs... or computing/electrical engineering in general?

I'm not looking for anything real specific, just something to keep in mind and research on... So far, all I've got is NC State really... lol

I've got some pretty good grades, in several AP courses... so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. (they aren't overwhelmingly good though... I believe I have ~3.4 GPA unweighted).

Don't limit yourself to just in-state colleges. I've been digging around for scholarships(not a fun search...start VERY early, as in right now for you) and I've found that a lot of smaller private colleges will give scholarships out the . to out-of-state students. As for college recommendations, I really can't say anything for NC. I know here in Indiana IUPUI and Purdue both have very good technology related courses so if you're willing to stretch out and look, those two are pretty nice options. The former also has an excellent transfer program that pretty much lets you go off and study in whatever country you choose for a year. Of course you can always make a stretch for a college like MIT. I applied there with a group of friends(serious application but more of a joke than anything) and I was sent a nice little letter saying that if I had applied in September I would have been accepted with a quite a hefty scholarship. Needless to say that ticked me off. But that just goes to show that you really need to spam all corners of the field and to not limit yourself based on what you think you could afford or get in to.

Hope that helps and good luck with the hunt.

Looking a little farther from home, you might want to give Rice University in Houston a look. It has a strong engineering and computer science program.

• 5 weeks later...
I go to RIT and I'm in the computer engineering program. I really enjoy it. I'm currently on co-op which is real cool.

I'm liking the looks of that school... seems a little prestigious - how hard was it to get in?

My transcript is screwed beyond all recognition... So I doubt I'll get into anywhere CLOSE to MIT... let alone RIT. I've been to four different high schools so far... so, I'm 4 credits behind the rest of my class, my classes that WERE computer related (Advanced Cisco networking, general computer hardware class, visual basic) do not count as my current school system does not have these. My Arizona school did not have an engineering program... but my current high school does... which I can't take since I'm too old... How wonderful is that? So I have NO courses in engineering/computers now... And I can't take any because I came in too late as a Junior... and obviously I can't take drafting 1/IST 1/ IST intro in my senior year... So yep... I'll graduate with no engineering/computer credits...

Unless you get official transcripts from each school that you were in and mail them together. Same type of thing happened to a couple of students in my class and it worked out for them. When in doubt, send everything you think could possibly boost your image.

So yep... I'll graduate with no engineering/computer credits...

Make sure you're really good at Maths, and ideally good at physics too... I got offered a scholarship at Rensellaer randomly because I did really well on some random maths test, and also got into one of the 3 best engineering universities in the UK despite having less than the entry requirements overall (some history is interesting, but man, most of it, snorrrrrrre :lol:) because of my decent skills in Maths and Physics...

I mean, I'm not amazing at Maths or Physics, but I knew pretty much everything that was taught at high school level...

I'm definitely good as far as math and science goes... and all core classes really. I've just found out about a joint community college program... so I'm going to try and take a couple courses as part of my high school schedule. I'm having a hard time choosing between video game programming/design and engine/motor control with PLLs and what not... so I'll see how that goes.

Honestly, I really just don't have a clue what universities are good in my field... been doing more research at RIT, and now it seems a little low based on my grades and qualitiest??? :unsure:

And I don't about a research university... seems a little out of my major?

Argh... I'm tottally clueless about college...