My Turbo Eclipse - Open Downpipe

airman

Sounds like a sherman tank or something on the History/Discovery Channel...

:lol: Open downpipes sound like that on a lot of cars. His sounds better because it lopes, though I'm not sure that's a good thing at this point in time.

I'm surprised it's so quiet when de-revving, though I guess the turbo sucks up a lot of the exhaust noise. My car is loud as hell revving up and down (though mine is muffled): http://people.clemson.edu/~dbonnie/exhaust2.wav

I was thinking the same thing. Did you adjust the timing or something because I haven't heard a stock GT-T lope like that before.

I also assume you're going to put a resonator and muffler on it at some point right? :P

timing is dead on :P

haha yeah, that was just for giggles when i replaced my oil pan gasket and i had the downpipe off. decided to crank her up and get some footage.

at the moment i think my balance shafts have died - so i'm gonna jerk them out because they're only a reliability issue and i can deal with a little bit of vibration. plus, it gets rid of a lot of weight attached to the crank. i've seen people gain as much as 20hp by getting rid of the shafts.

by the way:

DSC03600.jpg

all four cylinders look just like that :)

Edited by airman

also, the lack of backpressure probably has something to do with it. also, the tank of gas is a few months old.

He's getting backpressure from the turbo. ;)

He's getting backpressure from the turbo. ;)

there is still backpressure from my exhaust :P

anyways - i have an update. my rear balance shaft bearings have screwed themselves up royally. i'm going to take them out during my free time of this week. it's bad enough that it actually has caused the area around one of the bearings to become discolored from the heat from the friction.

DSC03605.jpg

my thoughts are that it spun the bearing there, and has blocked off the oil passage that keeps the thing lubricated. luckily that one's coming out in the near future.

a scarier picture is of my crankshaft bearings...

DSC03606.jpg

they were brand new about 100 miles ago when i did the rebuild. the crankshaft cradle bolts were torqued to spec. 18ft/lbs or 25nm.

oil levels and oil pressure has been fine throughout running.

Edited by airman

Ouch, that sucks :(. How much will all that cost to fix?

i'm just going to trash the motor and get a 1st gen 6 bolt motor and slap it in there. the worst thing dsm has ever done was not go back to the 6 bolt motors after the massive failings of the 7 bolt.

found this on the net so here it goes

A 6-bolt engine is one that has a 6-bolt flywheel - that is, there are 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft. A 7-bolt motor has 7 bolts there.

Along with the flywheel change, there are many other internal changes between the two engines. The crankshafts are different sizes, as are the rods and crankshaft seals. 6-bolt motors have 'big' rods, while 7-bolt engines have 'small' rods. The journal and bearing widths different, although the bearing diameters are the same.

There may also be other changes between the two engines, and the parts are not interchangeable.

The 6-bolt 4g63 engine was found in eclipse turbo models (gst and gsx) from 1990 to mid 1992. From mid 1992 till 1999 it was the 7-bolt. Many people have done an engine swap and put a 6-bolt motor in because it is less likely to crankwalk than the 7-bolt plus it's just a better motor.