Mac Use Leads To "Snob-Effect"

road-runner

There customer service is better? lmao, let me relate my buddies experience of getting a replacement for his brothers defective Nano that the click wheel stopped working on (under warranty).

Walks into said Apple store and say's he needs a replacement, worker asks if he has an appt with a 'genius'..he says no, so he has to schedule an appt with a 'genius' for 12 the next day. He walks in to his appt and the Apple Mensa grad has the Nano in his hand and asks what the problem is...so he tells him to try and use it, the click wheel is broken and its under warranty. So he says ok, let me get you a replacement...goes and gets one, hands it to my friend and then says that will be $25. Ummm what the heck, they charge you to replace a defective product? Then on top of that, he says that my friend can extend his warranty for another $5.

lmao, that is what I call a crapload right there....though admittedly its far funnier with him telling it lol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how great my Mac is and don't need to defend it.

please say this new stance also applies to your iPhone, iPod and whole iLife :lol:

I prefer technically superior products over "lifestyle" products, hence my "snobbery" over the inferior and totally over-hyped iPod series...

the iPhone and newer iBooks are debatable, I don't think anyone can really argue superiority one way or the other...

when I think of Macs, I think of some idiot with their iPod connected to their iBook whlist using their iPhone, in Starbucks, connected to the Internet and playing music live from iTunes, doing that stupid "oh look I've got an iPod dance" that used to be really annoying on TV :lol:

I've never really been a Apple Fanboy, but I do enjoy my iPod Touch. I've never bought an iPod because other people had them. I bought it because I liked it and it did what I needed it to do. And come on guys, we do have to give props to Apple for some of their products, just like Andrew said.

About the Apple Store, I had my buddy's Macbook for a few weeks and the battery went bad. I went to the Apple Store, made the appointment for that day, killed time until my name came up, then I walked up to the guy, said the battery won't charge, he said hold on, turned around grabbed a battery, put it in and turned on the MacBook, that is it. It was free, it was fixed, and they did it even though it wasn't mine. I have an iPod, I don't have a Macbook, but I like Apple even though I use a PC

Well the OS is really all that's great about Macs now that they're Intel based. Plus, the laptops cost about the same as competing models with equivalent specs. Though I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Macs cost more to repair. Without a warranty, they cost about the same as other prebuilt manufacturers. At least the customer service is better :D

ROFL

Have you priced an Apple laptop vs. say... a Dell laptop recently? Hmm...

15.4" Dell with 250Gb harddrive, 3GB ram, 2.0GHz C2d - $1000.

13" Apple with 80GB harddrive, 1GB ram, 2.0Ghz C2d = $1100.

Sure, I have to agree, they do cost about the same as other prebuilts, except for the fact that you're getting a technologically inferior product...

:lol:

Which Dell model are you comparing the Macbook to? With the features and build quality of the Macs, you have to be comparing them to the XPS line, not the regular Inspiron line. What you did wasn't a fair comparison because Apple doesn't make low end laptops like Dell and other PC manufacturers do. You also need to choose Vista Ultimate as there doesn't happen to be a crippled version of OS X.

Dell XPS M1330 - 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HD Integrated graphics = $1654

Black Macbook - 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HD Integrated graphics = $1649

Looks pretty even to me.

However, I will admit that the Pro models cost more than their Dell counterparts. I'm not a Mac fanboy, and I'll be the first to admit that the $700 premium for a Macbook Pro over a Dell XPS 1530 would make me seriously wonder whether OS X is really worth that much more. I don't even want to get started on the ridiculous markups that the Mac Pros have. <_<

However, with its consumer line of laptops, you have to admit that they are competitively priced and offer a good value. If I were a parent and had to choose one for a kid going to college, I'd pick the Mac simply to reduce the hassle that comes with Windows. Hardware failures happen regardless of platform, but we can at least minimize the problem of viruses/spyware/adware for the non-technically adept.

Macs aren't really for the type of people who frequent this place. OCC is full of people who like to tinker with their hardware and PCs give them that flexibility. Thus, I can understand the disdain OCCers may have for Apple, as it is just another retail box like Dell, which we all collectively dislike. However, when you get to the age where you no longer feel like swapping hardware or tinkering with Windows, Apple offers a no-nonsense machine that just lets you do what you want with your computer. So you actually spend more time using your machine rather than taking care of it.

Yea, I know that sounded like an ad for Apple, but trust me, I used to be the type who loved being elbow deep inside computer cases with parts lying all around me. But now that I don't have the time to devote to such pleasures, I've settled for a machine that I actually enjoy using.