Mac Use Leads To "Snob-Effect"

road-runner

Though I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Macs cost more to repair.

Non-user replaceable parts aren't cheap.

So you actually spend more time using your machine rather than taking care of it.
You honestly think this applies to Windows? Linux distros, maybe...but since Win98 it doesn't take much effort to keep a machine running perfectly.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You honestly think this applies to Windows? Linux distros, maybe...but since Win98 it doesn't take much effort to keep a machine running perfectly.

Maybe some Linux Distros, I have some folding rigs upstairs with Linux on them that have not been rebooted or turned off since the last time the electricity went off back in October 07. I can not ever remember a windows rig doing that in my life....

Maybe some Linux Distros, I have some folding rigs upstairs with Linux on them that have not been rebooted or turned off since the last time the electricity went off back in October 07. I can not ever remember a windows rig doing that in my life....

Some Linux distros yes, many are just as easy (or easier) to take care of as Windows these days. I have a couple computers that have been running 24/7 since I plugged them in with Windows XP on them...the only reboots have been automatic from Windows update.

I honestly can't remember my last lockup/crash on any of my computers and I leave them on all the time. :)

So what if most mac users are well dressed and environmentally conscious? That just means they have good taste.

On the contrary. As I said already this week: there is no such thing as good taste - it's all just coincidence.

What this says to me is that mac fans might just be of the sheep mentality. Again, not everyone is, but I utterly despise the iPod for its inferior sound quality and shoddy Mac/PC interface being iTunes. It is dreadful. I have lost count of the number of people who have unexpectedly had their iPods erased when they plug it in to another machine, which smacks of hideously un-thought-out software.

And before someone says "their own fault for being dumb", well, yes, this is amusing, but the average user using the average iPod doesn't have the same knowledge as some of us - and that is where Apple's market is - the average user wanting a good-looking and friendly product.

Just a shame that there are much better solutions to iPods out there and that the iPhone is a rip-off with some really poor features for the price. Mac books are, well, uh ... no comment there. I disklike most notebooks.

:sigh: How many times do I have to repeat this? I'm not talking about people like US who know what we're doing when it comes to computers. I'm talking about average Joe who doesn't know anything beyond how to browse the net and use Office. Yes, I know that you can have a secure Windows box, but the vast majority of Windows users don't know how to do that. Which is why we have so many people employed in computer repair. Those of you who work at places like the Geek Squad or even those with technologically illiterate friends know that most of the problems you see are silly things like viruses and spyware, etc. Every once in a while you'll get hardware failure or some other affliction that would affect every type of machine.

:sigh: How many times do I have to repeat this? I'm not talking about people like US who know what we're doing when it comes to computers.

It doesn't matter when talking about replacing parts. At least with non-Apple computers you can have them fixed by a techy friend or a professional...using normal off the shelf parts. If a Macbook suddenly blows up you have to send it in to get it fixed by Apple or find an Apple store where you again get to wait and/or pay extra for service.

The Geek Squad is an embarrassment to real computer repair techs anyway. :lol:

It doesn't matter when talking about replacing parts. At least with non-Apple computers you can have them fixed by a techy friend or a professional...using normal off the shelf parts. If a Macbook suddenly blows up you have to send it in to get it fixed by Apple or find an Apple store where you again get to wait and/or pay extra for service.

The Geek Squad is an embarrassment to real computer repair techs anyway. :lol:

When it comes to desktops, yes. But when it comes to all-in-one computers or laptops, not so much.

And yes, the Geek Squad is an embarrassment. I saw a bunch of their home theater installation trucks outside a house on my way to school, and I felt so sorry for the guy who got the Geek Squad to install his several thousand dollars worth of equipment :P