g80 8800gts has to go

upok

Well, the 8800gts 640 that I've had for almost a year has to go. I'm building a rig for a friend and I bought an 8800gt 512 for him. Just for fun I thought I'd see what all the hub-bub was about, so I put it in my system. Now, first off I'd like to say that the evga gts 640 has been a GREAT card for me. That said,

8800gts 640 3dmark06 oc'd to 600/900 12272

8800gt 512 3dmark06 stock 13889

How can I argue a 1600 point increase without any effort? And more importantly, how am I gonna ever get rid of my gts 640 when the gt just kills it? Oh well, I think I'll put the gts 640 in his setup, and keep the gt for myself, assuming he doesn't have a problem with it. I'll just tell him the gts costs more, but I'll "let" him have that one, and I'll keep the "cheaper" one! :lol:

Can anyone give me a good reason to keep the 640 over the gt 512? I'm willing to listen.

Well, some people here still have the 8800 GTS 640s, chances are some will snatch up your 8800 640 for a reasonable amount so they can run SLI. Then you can upgrade to a G90 8800GT(S)

I was actually thinking about doing that (I have a 640 myself) ever since the refreshed versions came out.. but sadly, don't have the funds.

How did I know that was coming?!?

Oh well, he said he wouldn't mind trading--as long as it doesn't cost him anything. He won't miss the performance, he's coming from a 6800gt so either 88 is a huge improvement.

I think I'll sit tight on this gt for awhile, see how the 3870x2 shakes out. I ended up with an x38 board, so I may switch to dual 3870s or the x2---or maybe, just maybe, if I'm feeling froggy--dual 3870x2s.

Speaking of x2s, I used to have a 7950gx2 before the gts. That thing was a beast. It never really cranked out super high framerates, but it was super consistent. No matter what resolution or settings, the framerates never really changed a whole lot. I kinda miss that card :(

Oh well, time to play with the gt.