Best PCI video cards... suggestions?

MrSmith

the situation: I have an HP Pavilion a1023... great all around computer... except the system board has only PCI slots (there is an empty spot where a PCI-e slot could be installed, and I have considered trying it as I solder as part of my profession) I have a 128Mb nVidia fx 5700le in there, but would like to get 'the best' that either nvidia or ATI has to offer... thanks

solder a PCI-E slot in? :lol:

just buy a real motherboard... you can unleash the potential of your processor at the same time... one of my housemates has a HP/Compaq machine with an E6400 running at stock... a shame, since the motherboard has no options for overclocking...

I would like to know if that works....

it could be that the bios would not support the added pci-e slot even if you did solder it on the board

but you have nothing to lose because if it does'nt work

you were probably thinking of buying a new motherboard anyway.

As for as a good pci-e video card I would suggest a 8800gt with 512mb ram by either Evga or XFX

but.... but....... I would test you new added slot with a lesser card in case things don't go well

and don't forget to check and or upgrade the power supply to 500watts min :rolleyes: .

I would like to know if that works....

obviously, it doesn't work... I can't even think of an analogy as ridiculous...

it would be like trying to solder an AMD socket onto an Intel motherboard, and expecting it to work... or adding fuel injection to a steam engine... or substituting sunscreen with marmalade...

I find it hard to believe that someone who solders professionally would overlook the fact that the PCI and PCI-E connectors have different pin counts and pinouts, one is parallel @ 133MB/s, one is serial @ 8GB/s

(there is an empty spot where a PCI-e slot could be installed, and I have considered trying it as I solder as part of my profession)

obviously, it doesn't work... I can't even think of an analogy as ridiculous...

it would be like trying to solder an AMD socket onto an Intel motherboard, and expecting it to work... or adding fuel injection to a steam engine... or substituting sunscreen with marmalade...

I find it hard to believe that someone who solders professionally would overlook the fact that the PCI and PCI-E connectors have different pin counts and pinouts, one is parallel @ 133MB/s, one is serial @ 8GB/s

Time to slap hardnrg, ever thought that he's talking about boards such as all thoes Dells the used to ship with the solder points for AGP slots on the board, yet had no physical "slot" In other words the same PCB is used for several different models. Same thing with many of the newer PCI-e systems (and for a good example look at the refernce 680i LT boards). While chances are it WONT work in theory it would be possible. A far cry from trying to solder an AMD socket on and intel board...

oh lol, I thought a "space" was literally a space of plain PCB or a PCI that wasn't being used...

even if you soldered it in, flashed the BIOS to a different board with PCI-E, and it magically worked, it would still be a crap BIOS that doesn't allow any overclocking or setting of RAM speed/timings...

Time to slap hardnrg, ever thought that he's talking about boards such as all thoes Dells the used to ship with the solder points for AGP slots on the board, yet had no physical "slot" In other words the same PCB is used for several different models. Same thing with many of the newer PCI-e systems (and for a good example look at the refernce 680i LT boards). While chances are it WONT work in theory it would be possible. A far cry from trying to solder an AMD socket on and intel board...

You beat me to it.

It's highly likely that the chipset is different for the non PCI-e/AGP board but there's a chance it could work.