Apple M4868 21" crt

squares

Hi guys theres a deal on craigslist for the mentioned monitor and I was wondering if it were worth $50. I was wondering if anybody has this display hooked up to a PC. I hear the Apple M4868 has picture problems because you adjust the screen size etc with apple software. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can't seem to find anything online. Or maybe there are some computer-monitor forums that you can direct me to :thumbs-up:.

Looks like the Apple M4868 is a Trinitron tube, but with a .25 dot pitch, that must be one of the lower end Trinitrons as all of the ones I have seen are .24 or .22. Do you not have many other CRT's in your local CL? looking here in Washington theres plenty to choose from, if I were you, I'd wait for a higher end tube, the p1130, G520, 2070sb, p1230; hell, pretty much any of the more recent Diamondtron and Trinitron tubes are great. BTW, I am using an older Diamondtron screen which is pretty awesome, planning to buy a bran new Trinitron pretty soon though.

So anyway, if you have some choices, I'd say wait for another.

the first result on google gives you the SKU

googling the SKU gives a PDF service manual as one of the results: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&...V7P8xzYwNPpPtRw

which says the cable is a 15 pin VGA... and that to use it with a Mac you use a Mac-VGA adaptor that is supplied with the display... so the display itself is just a standard VGA monitor

it's a Trinitron screen that can do 1600x1200@85Hz max... it would be very good for games and movies... it might be a bit blurry for text compared to a new LCD, depending on its age, but certainly worth $50

Thanks for the info ^_^ . After reading through the PDF and finding that " Apple has NOT tested the Apple Studio Display (21" CRT, 19.8" VIS) with USB-equipped PC-compatible computers nor with an older Macintosh using a USB card, and cannot guarantee its proper functioning. This is NOT a supported configuration. " And reading about all the problems PC users are having with them, I decided to hold off and wait for a p1130 or a g520. It's a shame really since this guy has like 6 of them for ~ 50 bucks each, probably a bit less if I bought all of them.