XP Standby mode

Phil

I've recently done a reformat/reinstall of XP on a couple of computers.

One was a desktop with XP Pro, new hard drive and video card, XP installed before the new video card. This unit simply doesn't "wake up", and must be restarted.

The other was a laptop with XP Home, new hard drive installed. This one won't wake up by touching keys or touchpad, but does when power button is pressed.

Both installs were put on one hard drive-sized NTFS partition.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on? Thanks in advance.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but....don't use sleep/standby mode. It's known to cause problems.

Understood.

And if I Google the problem I'll get a bunch of people on computer forums saying the same thing.

The problem is that those computers don't belong to me, and all the average user sees is that Standby worked for them before, now it doesn't. I'd really like to figure this one out, every prebuilt with XP on it comes with Standby working, why can't it be made to work again?

In my experience (7 years pro IT department--tons of PC builds) hibernate is very bad. Standby mode not so bad--although I rarely use standby either.

Hibernate usually needs something severe to wake it up again such as pressing the power button and lot's of hoping. Standy mode is usually much better and usually only requires wiggling the mouse to re-activate. Personally if it were me I would look into unchecking the hibernate box in "power options" in the control panel but leaving on the stand by feature for whatever time you decide. I could be wrong, but I have a sneakin hunch that "standby" is not your issue,, but rather the sucky "hibernate" is your issue. Additionally, they probably won't be able to tell the difference between stand by mode and hibernate, thus it will look the same to them.

Happy puting

Thanks for the response. I'm definitely talking standby, I never activate hibernate on any machine. But now you've got me wondering if hibernate could have been checked by default...

Edited by Phil

I always use Hibernate on my laptop. I have never had issues. In fact a few times I had my Oracle XE database running and I would just put the machine to Hibernate and when the machine would be powered back up it would just go back to the state my machine was right when I put to Hibernate...

Hi,

Be sure to find out what motherboard is in the unit and get the current chipset drivers for that Mainboard. Sometimes on a new Windows install,Windows will provide good enough drivers to make everything work--kinda well. I find that the often overlooked current chipset driver can be one of the biggest performance enhancers on a fresh install.

Perhaps you did that already, but it is easy to miss.

I have had installs where everything went well, but when all was said and done the unit just seemed a little slow or not quite right. I discovered I hadn't installed the mainboard's proper chipset driver, after doing that,, noticeable gains.

PS- Yes, some OEM install's will check the hibernate box by default as you suspected. What made me wonder was when you said regarding tha laptop that the power button was the only way of waking the unit. That sounded like hibernation to me so I just recommended double checking,, which no doubt you have.

Happy puting.

Yeah, I'm with you on the drivers, however I did install the chipset drivers from the OEM site. In the future I think I'll put in a little more time to ensure that all of the main components have the best possible drivers, not just the XP supplied ones. I've been satisfied just to eliminate all of the yellow question marks in the Device Manager, that's probably not quite thorough enough.

Thanks. :)