AMD Case Mod

This is my project slated for AMD's display at ceBIT show in Hannover, Germany. 3/4/2008 - 3/9/2008. The case is a Thermaltake SwordM. I wanted to make something that reminded you of a space ship hull door. Reinforced Triangular Patterns with a rotary "airlock" latch. The shell I designed was milled from 1/2" aircraft aluminum on a 2 axis cnc mill. Everything is being chrome plated. I just posted a video segment of it's current progression on YouTube. Your comments are welcome!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey bill and all at mnpctech.. i been watchin this one closely.. and have been waiting impatiently for this next video and all others untill finished.. im lovin your projects.. and this ones comming up amazing so far.. u guys are a great inspiration to the modding industry.. keep up your good werk..

Is it even possible for you to make something that isn't awesome? I'd sell a kidney for a case like that but alas, ebay doesn't allow organ trafficking. :(:lol:

Edit: And just out of curiosity, how much does that case weigh? That beast looks like it could stop an AP round without moving an inch...

Edited by iKillSteal

Thanks dudes! I appreciate you following my work and will always try my best to offer good content in return.

It's been a pleasure to transform a seriously fugly factory case into timeless art. It's not as heavy as it looks, it's 6061 aircraft aluminum.

I've done a lot of aluminum polishing with an electric buffer and by hand. Until you've done your own polishing, I can only describe it as extremely tedious work. It numbs your brain, but not in a good way. Theres only a few Modders like myself that have been crazy enough to polish their own aluminum parts, sethnmalice and Paul from coolercases.co.uk. It takes a lot of patience! Last year I polished the 26" tall machined 6061 aircraft aluminum side panels and motherboard tray on this tower by hand. It took me 2.5 weeks of work, on/off otherwise the task drove me out of my mind. If you don't have the proper buffing equip, you can wetsand out any imperfections first before buffing out the finish. I don't have all the pro equip, so the problem with 6061 alum, is it can scratch real easy. Any speck of dirt caught under a sanding block will create havoc in the finish, just like wetsanding a paint finish. Of course, this did happen a few times and you started over. I vowed I'd never do this again and seek a professsional next time I wanted this type of finish. "Project Phenom" presented this challenge again so I made some phone calls and found AAA Metal Finishing.

Yesterday I picked up the first pieces from AAA. On a saturday no less! Since Mnpctech manufacturers their own line of machined aluminum parts, I've always wanted to learn about chrome, copper, and bronze platting. AAA's owner, Raul gave my son and I a tour of the facility. The building is city block long! He showed us the steps involved in plating metal parts. I noticed one of Raul's clients was BigDog Motorcycles I recognized their logo on handlebars and frame brackets in different stages throughout the building. Before any part can be plated, it must first be Bead blasted and then polished, otherwise you will see any surface imperfections in the final chrome coating. Raul was kind enough to allow me to record some of the steps with my camera. I plan share this footage in the next video update for this project :)

The first parts to return are the new top panel and factory front bezel trim from the Thermaltake SwordM Case. The factory finish on the bezel was originally anodized silver.

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chromebezel2.JPG

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chromebezel7.JPG

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chromebezel3.JPG

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chromebezel4.JPG

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chromebezel5.JPG

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chromebezel6.JPG

Very nice, very nice indeed. This is going to be one sweet looking unit and if I must I'll stand in line to get a glimpse of it in person. Happy Modding to ya.

You never know, it may just be here when you move to MN.

Onesy twosy pick-ups will go on for awhile. Raul must plate my parts in between his larger customer production runs.

You'll remember this panel as the new top from the video

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chrome1.JPG

1AMD_casemod_mnpctech_chrome2.JPG

you know I've been watching the project phenom videos on youtube for a little while and that case on the first video lokked bad man. but on this one it's looking alot better, I can't wait to see the end result!

It was one fugly case...thats for sure

I'm picking up more chrome plated parts this saturday. I hope they have the side panels finished! I'd really like to get to the re-assembly of this case. Otherwise I should have a new update posted by this Friday. We're painting the SwordM's rear door with Alsa Corp Chrome FX and airbrushing circuit board trails over it that play off the recessed portions in the milled side panels.

1ThermaltakeSwordM.casemod.mnpctech6.jpg

1ThermaltakeSwordM.casemod.mnpctech9c.jpg