The Ultra X2 750w Extreme Edition presents bad build quality

Conclusions

The Ultra X2 750w Extreme Edition is now the 6th Ultra power supply we have reviewed with 3 of the previous 5 being award winners. Two units however have fallen short of being truly great power supplies, and were knocked out in the final round of testing by the 100v AC input. This was unfortunate as Ultra has made a lot of strides in improving its power supply lines with the introduction of new OEM's Andyson and Seventeam. Today, however, we are reviewing a power supply from one of Ultra's older OEM partners, Wintech, that Ultra has for some reason gone back to (or continued) sourcing power supplies from. Is this 750w is an amazing performer or a warmed up Wintech leftover being pushed out the door on Ultra

I much prefer the "flaming piece of crap" quote in the [H] review. Looks like the same issue Ultra had with their original PSUs. Their claiming SLI certification is pretty sleazy, even if the seal doesn't mean all that much.

Pretty sad one a company can have one brand that is pretty good (X3's) but then another that is crappy (X2's). Just goes to show that brand loyalty is a bad thing...mmkay.

Pretty sad one a company can have one brand that is pretty good (X3's) but then another that is crappy (X2's). Just goes to show that brand loyalty is a bad thing...mmkay.

From what I read on another forum Ultra was actually trying to get there act together when Johnny Guru worked there, however he went to work for BFG so I guess things are going back to the dogs....

• 2 weeks later...

That is the case yes. When we tested it the PSU it tested fine. Not every PSU can be the same and there tends to be bad ones here and there. We have started to find over the last little while that some of their units are not fairing to well.

It does not take away from our review we had a good experience with it and did not run into the issues that Hardocp did.

thanks bosko, thats some consolation. I spoke to Ultra on the Phone and they told me that if anything goes wrong with the psu I will immediatly be sent a replacement of a different model if I am worried about the model accross the board. My question to you would be whether or not I should risk using this psu for the simple worry of it frying somthing other than my computer parts. Thanks again

p.s Also just wondering as to how intense your test was. I didn't see your system having dual gpu's so I would imagine that it wasn't as demanding of a system?

Edited by hqcan