Audio Card Evaluation

Nemo

I actually have what would appear to be the exact card with antoher brand name on it in my "HTPC" atm. And ill agree 100% with the review, it isnt anything worth having for the newer onboard sound options, however the old AC97 based audio most boards from two years go have is far worse.

Though if i was buying a sound card for the purpose i would likely go with something better if moving beyond even older onboard. (I got mine for free, so what can i say :)

I just got the XS 7.1 version of this card...beware if you have Vista. There are NO official drivers for the card for 32 or 64 bit Vista from CMedia. The drivers that automatically install are passable, but you can't use any of the advanced features on the card. 5.1 is useless because it swaps the side and rear speaker outputs and the center/sub outputs. :(

I ended up using my onboard sound for 5.1 (ALC850) headphone and the 7.1 card for the headset mic input only. :lol:

Did the 5.1 card have any of the same issues?

I just got the XS 7.1 version of this card...beware if you have Vista. There are NO official drivers for the card for 32 or 64 bit Vista from CMedia. The drivers that automatically install are passable, but you can't use any of the advanced features on the card. 5.1 is useless because it swaps the side and rear speaker outputs and the center/sub outputs. :(

I ended up using my onboard sound for 5.1 (ALC850) headphone and the 7.1 card for the headset mic input only. :lol:

Did the 5.1 card have any of the same issues?

sorry you are having issues with the card, we reviewed the 7.1 here, but it was on XP MCE 2005. I also tested in XP (moving to Vista with the next review). I see that there has been no support for Vista, but if you go to Cmedia's website here, you can grab Vista drivers for the c-media chip to see if they are any better than the VIsta drivers.

there are also some discussions on the c-media forums about VIsta support for the 8768 chipset here

good luck.

Cool, glad you reviewed this. The one thing I didn't care for on it was I would lose the ability to use the front headphone and mic inputs on my case. Guess I'm better off all around using the onboard.

sorry you are having issues with the card, we reviewed the 7.1 here, but it was on XP MCE 2005. I also tested in XP (moving to Vista with the next review). I see that there has been no support for Vista, but if you go to Cmedia's website here, you can grab Vista drivers for the c-media chip to see if they are any better than the VIsta drivers.

I tried the beta drivers and they were worse than the Vista-supplied drivers. :lol:

Some manufacturers are just waaay behind the times when it comes to Vista support. CMedia is one of them.

The way Vista deals with sound is different, which means most Vista sound drivers suck balls unfortunately. :lol:

The Realtek drivers are pretty good from what I've seen on the computers I've used it on. The Creative drivers for my old Audigy 2 suck in Vista though, the output levels about about 20 dB lower than they should be which is why I moved back to the onboard sound.