Davies

Hi everyone.

I've just bought a Q6600 intel CPU...and i've got the following hardware:

Gigabyte GA 965P DS4 Motherboard

Intel Q6600 CPU

2 x 500GB Seagate Hard Drives

Crucial 2 Gb 240 Pin PC2-6400 DDR2 Unbuffered Non-ECC DIMM Memory Module Kit

Akasa PowerMax 850W ATX PSU 2x PCIe 6x SATA

I want to know if its possible with the hardware i have inside my computer to Overclock my CPU? i don't have a heatsink, and would like to avoid spending anymore money lol. Just wondering if its possible and how i do it? I am a newbie to overclocking, but i am good with computers and will pick it up pretty quickly.

thanks

Davies

Edited by Davies

Yo.

It's definately possible... the amount depends on your board and CPU revision, and wether the RAM can match the CPU with decent timings. From what I gather the 965P DS4 is a fairly decent performer... somebody else will be able to tell you how it stacks up against other chipsets though. You'll want to upgrade to a Teir1/2 PSU if you are going to get serious though -

First, read this then this

Download this and post screenshots :)

(and welcome to OCC :P)

Yo.

It's definately possible... the amount depends on your board and CPU revision, and wether the RAM can match the CPU with decent timings. From what I gather the 965P DS4 is a fairly decent performer... somebody else will be able to tell you how it stacks up against other chipsets though. You'll want to upgrade to a Teir1/2 PSU if you are going to get serious though -

First, read this then this

Download this and post screenshots :)

(and welcome to OCC :P)

Thanks for the information, will go through some of that later. And if anyone has got the same motherboard / hardware as myself, then please do let me know if you have had success / problems with overclocking.

cheers

Davies

Um, you don't have a heatsink? If you don't have a heatsink I have some bad news for you. You have to have a heatsink if you don't want to fry your processor.

Sorry i meant something else, actually i didn't know what i meant. I do have a heatsink lol.

The GA-965P-DS4 is a decent board, but be sure to upgrade to the F10 BIOS :) Helped me a lot when I was trying to OC my RAM on there! It's a little picky on RAM (all 965's are), but with a little tweaking it went very far.

Could you post some info on your cooling solution(s)?

The GA-965P-DS4 is a decent board, but be sure to upgrade to the F10 BIOS :) Helped me a lot when I was trying to OC my RAM on there! It's a little picky on RAM (all 965's are), but with a little tweaking it went very far.

Could you post some info on your cooling solution(s)?

i am using a 850w power supply, with the normal intel heat sink that came with the CPU ? with a Coolermaster Centurion case, with two fans.

Edited by Davies

screens from cpu-z

I will be updating the bios today to F10

I would like to overclock to at least 3ghz. is this going to be possible? and is there anything i can do with the memory to tweak it? if so how?

screen1ze9.th.jpg

screen2zy1.th.jpg

screen3dx6.th.jpg

screen4rz5.th.jpg

screen5ow0.th.jpg

screen6xj2.th.jpg

screen7jr7.th.jpg

Edited by Davies