spectrascope

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+(another 1) AVG free

You can turn auto updates off.

Or schedule them for a specific time.

AVG 8.0 does it for me! I just need to figure out a way to turn off that annoying search scan without it complaining about something being disabled.

If you figure it out post back, that is annoying.

I have been using AVG Free for years .....

Between AVG Free and Spyware Terminator (Also Free) is a complete package ...

Also ........ To use a statement from a previous post. Use common sense !!!

Note: I have recently upgraded AVG from v7.5 to v8.0, and it seems a bit more resource heavy ..... I may go back to v7.5 .

Does anyone else have an opinion on this ?

After dealing with enough customers over the years, there are only two that I use:

Kaspersky

NOD32

All the rest have failed repeatedly and about 2 years ago I started carrying both of these on a jump drive or util cd to test them out "in the wild" and to this day, they've never failed that I know of (never had to admit defeat to a virus on a customer's rig). Kaspersky covers my own home network server/torrent/ftp machine, and NOD32 covers my personal rig (which ends up at a lot of places or with a lot of files or a lot of customer backups with who-knows-what-in-them).

Best is always subjective though. Best for you might not be best for me, and so forth. Try a few out as all, including Kaspersky and NOD32 have 30 day trials. I look for a secure AV that isn't intrusive and doesn't use a lot of overhead (cpu/mem resources). You might have a slightly different taste in what is important in the anti-virus (free? ultra-secure like Vista's UAC haha? got 8GB RAM and don't care how much resource it needs?)

I have been using AVG Free for years .....

Between AVG Free and Spyware Terminator (Also Free) is a complete package ...

Also ........ To use a statement from a previous post. Use common sense !!!

Note: I have recently upgraded AVG from v7.5 to v8.0, and it seems a bit more resource heavy ..... I may go back to v7.5 .

Does anyone else have an opinion on this ?

I'm a little unhappy with the increased size of AVG 8.0, but with the new features I felt safe to turn off Spyware Terminator's real time protection, so I guess it's a wash. There's no point going back to 7.5, in a couple of months there will be no way to update the virus database.

Ok, add my vote for Avast Free Edition. I like it. I also use AVG on a couple of my PC's and it works fine as well. If I had to select one or the other, I'd have to lean towards Avast. For purely aesthetic reasons. They both do an equally good job.

AVG free is a really decent av program, and the new avg 8 has even more goodies built into it :) always a good thing, it's very simplistic to use, adn even when set on low priority I've never once had an issue with it not detecting any virus that may attack me. I only have it update once a day generally it does it around 9am, never have any issues, and I'm constantly on sites known to be virus ridden, it catches them without fail. I do a system scan once a week, always perfectly clean.

• 7 months later...