Sign in to follow this  
SMeeD

Sennheiser: HD 280 or HD 555?

You CAN go wrong with Sennheiser headphones... all the cheap/budget headphones, and all the earbuds and clip on headphones suck... I even think the PX100 sucks and some people thinks it's the ultimate set of portable headphones

Kash, my headphone coil is usually suspended in the air between me and my amp, so it's ok lol... it's like 3m long semi-stretched how I have it now, coiled up it's like 1.5m I think... mine is permanently slightly stretched now as they are quite old.

It's more annoying when I used to use them as my portable headphones on journeys, and trying to somehow coil up a coiled cable... I ended up having to like loop it round my belt and looked like I was some sort of sound man off a movie set or DJ (or idiot) or something lol... Edited by hardnrg

Im leaning towards the audio technica AD700 heavily. Ive been doing a lot of searching/reading at headfi.org and people generally go for the AD700 over the HD555s, and my current headphones are open so Im quite used to them. The only real downside Im seeing with the AD700s is lower bass, but I really dont see myself needing something that will vibrate my brain.

Edit* So do all headphones need some burn in or is it just that particular pair? Edited by SMeeD

All full-size cans would benefit. Probably doesn't make as much difference for the likes of IEMs. I didn't notice as much difference with my Westone UM2.

I'd recommend playing music loud and bassy through them when you are not in the room to loosen up any newly purchased full-size cans.

[quote name='hardnrg' post='754563' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:30 PM']Kash, my headphone coil is usually suspended in the air between me and my amp, so it's ok lol... it's like 3m long semi-stretched how I have it now, coiled up it's like 1.5m I think... mine is permanently slightly stretched now as they are quite old.[/quote]

Hmm, that actually sounds good. My cats won't be able to nibble on my headphone cable if it's not touching the floor.

[quote name='Silverfox' post='754543' date='Jan 30 2008, 04:01 PM']Can you afford HD595's? You might be glad if you can - I love mine via my amp (in sig) and were worth every penny spent!

"Leaking sound" is because the headphones are open-back. It's not that loud, but yes, audible. Can give a much better sound than closed cans though.[/quote]
:withstupid: I've got the HD595s as well. When I was buying I was looking at the HD280 Pro and HD555 as well. I figured it wasn't such a huge increase, so why not? Looking back, I'm glad I picked the 595s. On a related note, I recently purchased a Little Dot MK III amp and wow! :o My little portable-turned-desktop amp was really holding these cans back. Not that a relatively inexpensive amp isn't worth it! I brought my portable amp (Mini Head Signature, if you're curious) into work one day because I noticed that one of my co-workers was using some Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3's. He likes it so much that he's going to buy it. :)

I don't remember who it was that started me down this path, but my wallet has never recovered. :lol: "I just want to get some decent headphones..." *buys HD595s* "Wait, an amp can make these sound [i]better[/i]?" *buys amp* "These are great, but I can't use them when I travel." *buys Super.Fi 5's* "This amp is great, but it's really not made for desktop use." *buys Little Dot amp* :rolleyes:

[quote name='hardnrg' post='754570' date='Jan 30 2008, 05:49 PM']All full-size cans would benefit. Probably doesn't make as much difference for the likes of IEMs. I didn't notice as much difference with my Westone UM2.

I'd recommend playing music loud and bassy through them when you are not in the room to loosen up any newly purchased full-size cans.[/quote]
I remember when I got my headphones... They arrived on a Thursday, I listened to them for a few hours, then let them play over the weekend while I was gone. When I came back there was a very significant difference in sound. Burn-in definitely makes a difference.

[quote name='Bleeble' post='754648' date='Jan 31 2008, 07:58 AM']:withstupid: I've got the HD595s as well. When I was buying I was looking at the HD280 Pro and HD555 as well. I figured it wasn't such a huge increase, so why not? Looking back, I'm glad I picked the 595s. On a related note, I recently purchased a Little Dot MK III amp and wow! :o My little portable-turned-desktop amp was really holding these cans back. Not that a relatively inexpensive amp isn't worth it! I brought my portable amp (Mini Head Signature, if you're curious) into work one day because I noticed that one of my co-workers was using some Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3's. He likes it so much that he's going to buy it. :)

I don't remember who it was that started me down this path, but my wallet has never recovered. :lol: "I just want to get some decent headphones..." *buys HD595s* "Wait, an amp can make these sound [i]better[/i]?" *buys amp* "These are great, but I can't use them when I travel." *buys Super.Fi 5's* "This amp is great, but it's really not made for desktop use." *buys Little Dot amp* :rolleyes:

I remember when I got my headphones... They arrived on a Thursday, I listened to them for a few hours, then let them play over the weekend while I was gone. When I came back there was a very significant difference in sound. Burn-in definitely makes a difference.[/quote]

Awesome about the Little Dot MKIII. I love mine - need to get around to fiddling with the jumpers for my cans though - not tried anything as yet. Rolling tubes is dead easy too. I had a bit of crackle on one of the smaller tubes, but reseating it a few times has "cured" it.

Let me know if you find messing with the impendance jumpers to be useful. Then do a sound channel check for me - mine came with reversed channels on the headphone jack :) resolved by reversing the line in to the amp (and also the line out to my speakers - works beautifully as a wee preamp!)

And then get yourself a hotrodded X-Fi like mine (thanks again hardnrg) and you will love the sound that is produced. Still need some "better" cabling really, but meh.

[quote name='Silverfox' post='754661' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:47 AM']Still need some "better" cabling really, but meh.[/quote]
You know I still have a half-finished interconnect on one side of my room lol...

Nag me about it to remind me to finish it :)

Ive decided to go with the [url="http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10"]AD700[/url]. Im not quite ready for an amp or a new soundcard but the auzentech x-fi and the MKII amp look good.

well, that guy shares the same opinions as me on the HD555... so I'd personally take his recommendations into consideration on headphones

I would go for an amp before an upgrade on a stock X-Fi:XM... you could get someone local to do a Hotrod mod to your XM... it's only a few dollars for the components (the op-amps can be free, so you could just pay for one capacitor), and it doesn't take all that long to do the mod...

the end result of modding is probably just ever so slightly better than the Prelude because of the power capacitor, but it would be really close... if you don't want to mod, Prelude, if you want to mod and save yourself a packet, Hotrod mod...

either way, you really want an amp... after I posted the EQ things for my HD280 Pro I disconnected it, screwed the 1/4" jack adaptor back on, and hooked it back up to the headphone socket on my amp... much better... no messing with EQ required, just the amp's bass+

I'd personally be hesitant about buying a headphone amp without any tone controls...

If I could find someone locally to do the mod I would probably go threw with it. What do you recommend as a decent amp? It cant be too much money, anything around $100 is cool for now.

EQ'd as I have set them, the bass is awesome, it's so low and continues the precision of the HD280 Pro.

The bass can get distorted with positive EQ (ie + db). The HD280 does well with these settings available here (see post #13). Try it you will be pleasantly surprised.

I would try it, but my HD280Pro has died of multiple injuries (the headband outer shell broke off in several places, and then one of the drivers got blown by an unfortunate headphone amp accident during development that caused a massive low-shelf bass gain to be applied to on of the channels) - I threw them in the bin

Now I have K701, HD25-1 II, and UM2, and still use my PortaPro occasionally :):music: