Sign in to follow this  
SMeeD

Sennheiser: HD 280 or HD 555?

I would like to get a nice(er) pair of headphones and I know how well loved the Sennheiser HD 280s are on OCC. The HD 555 are on sale for $10 cheaper than the HD 280s on newegg and I was wondering if they were worth going buying. I dont really have any requirements except for them to be better than the LTB 5.1 headphones and logitech x-530s Ive got.

From what Ive searched, the HD 555s are better if you dont mind sound leaking out... true?

I just got a set of the Turtle Beach HPA-2s. They aren't perfect for music but for gaming and movies they are AWESOME.

EDIT: They are open-back as well.

I love my HD 555s but one of the downfalls is indeed the sound leaking. If I'm listening to music or playing a game at a higher volume my roommate can hear it too. Its not loud, just a whisper but he can still hear it. Apart from that you can't seperate me from my Sennheiser's :wub:

Ive been reading more into the HD555s. I keep coming across 120ohm vs 50ohm which I dont entirely understand. I wont have an amp and the ones on newegg are 120ohm, will they be no good?

Edit* I guess they have phased out the 120 ohm version. Now Im back to square one but leaning towards the HD 555s

Edited by SMeeD

Ive been reading more into the HD555s. I keep coming across 120ohm vs 50ohm which I dont entirely understand. I wont have an amp and the ones on newegg are 120ohm, will they be no good?

Edit* I guess they have phased out the 120 ohm version. Now Im back to square one but leaning towards the HD 555s

If you're spending a lot of money on headphones it'd probably be worth buying/building a small amp for them.

If its going to give me a nice boost in quality I probably will in the near future, as long as they dont cost a fortune. But for right now it would be nice if I could find something that will work well with and without an amp.

Can you afford HD595's? You might be glad if you can - I love mine via my amp (in sig) and were worth every penny spent!

"Leaking sound" is because the headphones are open-back. It's not that loud, but yes, audible. Can give a much better sound than closed cans though.

200+ is a little more than I would like to spend on headphones at the moment. I am now also looking into the audio-technica ad700... there are too many choices in this price range :P

i use senn for long time, 580, 600, 650, finally, i keep my 580 for more than 6 years.

I think right now, you can very easliy get a nice condition 580 around 100$, or even new one.

I bought it brand new only something around 150$, and that was 6 years ago. As I know, all other

5 series headphone is not good as 580. I keep 580 just because the performance/price ratio can not

beat by 600 or 650.

Another one I would recommend, which is AKG 501. I like it very much, just like 580. i sold mine when

i got 580.

you should go http://www.head-fi.org/, there is a lot of useful information.

good luck.

Edited by joeferral

I have the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, and it's my favourite for home listening out of the 3 main headphones I use, the other two are Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Westone UM2 (DJ and IEM respectively)

The HD280 Pro is closed back, yes, but the sound is EXTREMELY clear on them... they are very accurate, and that's why they are highly rated everywhere and widely used commercially.

The main "downfall" of the HD280 Pro is that it has a steep bass rolloff starting around 250Hz:

graphcomparephpxv4.png

http://www.headphone.com/technical/product...e=0&graphID[]=213

This means that you will notice a distinctive lack of bass when driving them flat. I use them plugged into the headphone out of my Technics amp, with the bass control on ~ +80%, and they sound great.

I've only plugged them directly into a soundcard once or twice before and didn't really bother after that, it was a temporary measure when I hadn't hooked up my amp. So I went ahead and took the screw-on 6.35mm-3.5mm adaptor off and connected it to my X-Fi XtremeMusic (with LM4562 op-amps).

OMG, they sound horrible lol... my ears are still ringing from having the X-Fi at 100% and flat... arg...

Scrambling to the EQ, I found I had none in the current mode lol... you have to disable Bit-Perfect Playback to get the EQ in Audio Creation Mode. I ended up with this for the HD280 Pro to sound totally awesome:

hd280pro2gz2.jpg+

Of course, you can adjust EQ in Game Mode without disabling anything as it doesn't have Bit-Perfect options...

hd280prold5.jpg

It's not like the HD280 Pro is incapable of bass, far far from it, they are just somehow set to not have much bass by Sennheiser, maybe to make them clearer for dialogue as they are used as monitor in the movie industry etc.

EQ'd as I have set them, the bass is awesome, it's so low and continues the precision of the HD280 Pro.

The HD280 Pro is so clear and precise, it will seem almost clinical when you first use them. They really need 100's of hours of use before they "burn in". This isn't theory or heresay, the diaphragms actually loosen from usage, and the drivers become a lot warmer and the bass extends lower.

They sound better amped, of course, but in just a few minutes I've managed to make them sound totally awesome directly from the soundcard.

I prefer the sound of the HD280 Pro to the HD555... some people like the warmth of the 555, but I find it wooly and wishy-washy, smearing the sounds together a bit, whereas the 280 Pro is surgically precise.

However, you might be better off looking towards some of the other headphones available. A lot of people like AKG and Beyerdynamic for headphones driven directly from the soundcard, and they wouldn't need as severe EQ adjustment as I have shown.

Love my HD 515's have used them for about a year and still as comfortable as the day i got them. I love the open ear design of the sennheiser's and sound quality is the best that i have found. My previous pair of

Alec-Lansing 502's set on your ear's becoming un-comfortable after about an hour or so and thought they sounded good till

i put the sennheiser's on..

You cant go wrong with sennheiser's..

I just took a look at the HD280s, and they look to be really nice. I just have one question. Does that cable get annoying?