wont recognize CD or DVD drives

Newport

After sitting for months without being turned on, I decided to buy a wireless network card for my desktop so i could start using it. I turned it on and put the driver CD in for the card. However, My Computer shows no CD drive at all. Its not in Device Manager or in the BIOS. I have a CD drive as the master and a DVD drive as a slave and it worked the last time i used the computer. Now nothing... How do i get it to work again? Anyone have any ideas? I cant even reinstall the mobo drivers since it wont recognize the CD drive. :(

Abit IC-7 Max 3 board

Windows XP pro

Newport's still about?

Is CS selected on both drives?

Yea im still about... just not nearly as much as i used to. I always had master selected for the CD drive and slave selected for the DVD drive. Let me go try this out... :blink:

Basic troubleshooting procedures:

1) Simplify the problem. If the drives aren't discovered in BIOS, they won't be discovered in Windows no matter what you do. Don't bother trying to fix Windows.

2) Minimize the problem. There could be something wrong with any number of parts: drives, cables, jumpers, motherboard. Remove everything related to the problem and start putting things back one by one. If you've done this before, you may even want to completely dismantle the computer and test just the problem components.

My advice is to set the jumpers on both drives to Master. Install one drive and attempt to get BIOS to see it. Repeat this operation for the other drive.

If one works and the other doesn't, it's a good bet the one that doesn't is broken. If neither works, your problem might be the cable or the motherboard and you'll need to repeat the connecting-and-trying operation with some known-good components. (If you've got any -- if not, you'll need either to get a friend to help or spend some money at a computer shop).

Once you find a way to make both drives work individually, then try making them work together. Experiment with the Master-Slave-Cable Select settings, I have a computer at home with 2 optical drives that only recognizes both in a specific configuration. I can't explain it, but I can't convince the motherboard to change its ways either.

R.