Controllers

dling

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not all that worried about a keyboard. in gaming. Unless you use macro's and crap like that a normal cheap one seems to work well.

The mouse however I do see a difference. It needs to be at least 800dps, and have good button feel to make me happy. (I like my razer diamondback.)

For racing games. I use a playstation2 controller with a homade adapter. (spent too many long playing gran turismo to try to change my controller now.)

For racing games. I use a playstation2 controller with a homade adapter. (spent too many long playing gran turismo to try to change my controller now.)
AGREED

There is no way I could play a racing game any other way, I grew up being a cheapA$$ and not having the money for a racing wheel so my whole life I've always used a controller.

I actually tried a friends racing wheel and did considerably worse an GT than with a regular controller, I even whooped my friends back in the day on ANY racing game (except for jetmoto, man I sucked at that game) when they had wheels and I used a controller...

Edited by Andrewr05

I own the Razer Lachesis and I'll tell ya, you're in for a treat :) It's a great mouse, IMO. I use the DiNovo keyboard with it which I'd have to say that I like my old G15 better for gaming but for typing and all the features, I love the DiNovo.

The "dpi race" we're seeing in mice now is all just bragging rights if you ask me.

No... that's just wrong.

Think about if your mouse had just 8 dpi... it would be incredibly inaccurate... you could adjust the sensitivity so that the movement of the mouse mapped to the preferred screen travel, but it would just be incredibly inaccurate...

Why does everyone think DPI means distance... it doesn't mean distance at all, it's a unit of precision, a unit of resolution, the amount of detail PER inch of tracking surface...

If you had a 100 dpi printer and printed out a photo to scale to a full sheet of A4/Letter it would look a bit crap... if you printed a photo out on a 10,000 dpi printer to scale to full A4/Letter it would look a lot more sharp and detailed, more accurate... it would NOT be 1000 times bigger! :lol: Scaling is analogous to mouse sensitivity here

You're *supposed* to turn the sensitivity down and the DPI of the mouse up (and not complain about it as if it's some sort of workaround)

I use a Cherry CyMotion Master/Expert and a Logitech MX518 on a X-RayPad Thunder8 mouse surface (textured side)

Why does everyone think DPI means distance... it doesn't mean distance at all, it's a unit of precision, a unit of resolution, the amount of detail PER inch of tracking surface...

Yes, but when we have mice that do 800 DPI it doesn't make much difference to move to 2000 DPI. Unless you crank the sensitivity the differences in accuracy are next to nil.

When you up the resolution on your monitor you aren't physically changing your monitors dimension you are just changing the amount of information being displayed on the fixed dimension screen

In your mouse it is the exact opposite, it is obviously not how much information is being displayed but how much information your mouse is "picking up" per an area of fixed dimension.

When you change the dpi on your mouse you are changing how much "information" is being perceived per inch of mouse travel.

I think... :ph34r:

Unless you crank the sensitivity the differences in accuracy are next to nil.

Yeah, you do get diminishing returns, but I think it's unfair to say that anything over 800dpi is unnoticeable.

Ha, on a semi-related note, I got 5/10 on Shure's "Golden Ear" test (involved identifying 128k, 192k, 320k, and Lossless; counting simultaneous voices/sounds, etc)... The Shure woman at CES said that's really good cos the test is basically near impossible, only the test designer got a 10 lol, next highest is 8, and most people can't get any right...

I'm glad I'm not an audiophool :lol: It was really loud at CES too and the iPod sound was a bit crap, so I don't mind getting a 5 lol

oh yeah, /offtopic (it's semi on-topic, human perception and sensitivity :P)

I use my G15 KB and Razer Diamonback Plasma for most pc games but I also have a USB Nyko Airflow controller i use for some games mainly racing since i havent bought a wheel yet.

Well, at the moment, I'm using a Logitech Multimedia keyboard and an MX-518 on a SteelSeries QCK mini. I just sold my MX-518 for $30 though, so I'll be picking up a G5 (with two thumb buttons!) tomorrow for $38. :D