Considering upgrade...

LivingGhost

Four stick OCing will be easier in one way, meaning that each stick will OC better than 2GB sticks, but it might come to be a PITA OCing all four sticks simultaneously... I myself haven't tried it in my Blood Iron yet, but on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 I had before this, it would OC just fine with 4 sticks (even mixed modules) :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. I think I'm going to do this.

Reading Newegg Blood Iron reviews, it appears as if this board has an issue with raid. I need to keep my raptors in RAID0 so I have enough space for my games and OS and programs. Are those just PEBKAC issues or real issues?

Edit: Crap. It appears as if the Blood Iron doesn't have IDE. I need that for my disc drive...And I can't upgrade to a sata drive (there are no sata drives on the drive offset list, afaik). I have to know the drive offsets so I can use Exact Audio Copy to get bitperfect copies of my CD's.

Edit: Oh wait, it does have IDE. lol

Edited by LivingGhost

I have two DFI Blood Iron's; one in each my primary and secondary system. They were a good buy upon release at $140, they are a great buy at $108.

The memory performance and tweaking options of this board are second to none. OCing in general is extremely good. The layout is above average.

I've tried RAID with them just enough to confirm that it works fine. I haven't tried using the last two SATA ports for it however.

Like pretty much every P35 board in existance it has a single port (two device) JMicron PATA controller.

I've been able to get my PC6400 CL4 Ballistix (not tracer, but they use the same chips) to a stable 580MHz (DDR2 1160) @ 5-5-5-15, with tight subtimings on this board, 24/7 stable. I currently run 500MHz (DDR2 1000) 4-4-4-12. With active cooling on the ram and a lot of voltage 600MHz is possible, but I wouldn't want to leave it that way in the long term.

Edited by oralpain

Naa, newegg reviews are generally PEBKAC issues :lol: The only complaint I have about the board is the crappy placement of the floppy connector, as my cable won't reach (due to a soundcard in the way). So if I need a floppy drive (flashing BIOS), I need to take out my soundcard blablabla etc, you get the picture.

My floppy drive never worked, anyway. I don't need it for anything, either, as Vista supports flash-drive RAID drivers. I hope Server 2008 does, too.

Thanks guys. OCC is still great.

Edit: Someone elsewhere said that 4x1gig would put uncessicary strain on my memory controller, and that I should go with a 2x2gig set instead, then recommended the following ram:

OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Is he wrong/right?

Edited by LivingGhost

Ohh :P

Well, Intel delayed some of the newer Quads at least, because AMD wasn't coming out with anything worthwhile, so you never know :ph34r:

They were delayed because of a stepping issue it had nothing to do with AMD.

You will see the Dual cores in the next few weeks followed by the new Quads. The X48 boards will be shipping in the next few weeks as well. :)