ATI HD 3870

nacano

I am getting the Asus Maximus Extreme here is my system set up (in the next few weeks we I go to order) I have been reading up on the board some more and it does come with 3 PCI 16x slots and supports crossfire could I get the 3 cards or will it not do it.

OCZ ReaperX 4gb DDR3 1333MHz

Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz

Ultra X3 1000 Watt

Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10k RPM SATA150

Western Digital Caviar SE 500GB x2

ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler

Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BWS Black/Red

PHILIPS 20X DVD

2 in crossfire, the 3rd would have to be run as a seperate card.

only the new AMD / ATI 790 chipset will allow for 3+ cards at once. and that is ONLY for the AMD platform. Intel has the rights to crossfire with 2 cards, and they're on thier own from here on out with it.

I remember reading about being able to do a 2 + 1 comfiguration with one of the 1 gpu's dedicated as a physics processor, that might require a 790FX chipset, but it might not.

You might want to look into that, i'm sorry I dont know more.

later.

cdburner5911

Edited by cdburner5911

No, you need a physics card for that :)

well, i remember reading that either crossfire OR SLI, cant remember which, DOES support using a 3rd vga card as a physics card. but i have never used it so i couldnt personally give any advice :(

physics cards are only 150 bucks last time i checked, they may be lower now though. it would probably be a better to get a physics card than a 3rd 3870 in the first place.