So many powersupplys to choose from.

something with dual 12v rails rated at 24 amp or so

This post just strikes me as very odd.

Is there any reasoning at all behind either of these suggestions? It just seems like two things pulled out of your head fairly randomly.

Well, I bought a Corsair TX650W. It looks great in the box! :) I only have 3 parts so far for my computer waiting on graphics cards and processors to come out, but I think the PS is safe enough since I will buy a current graphics card when the new ones come out. I am speculating on price drops. Anyway, the PS got a fairly good rating, is single rail, and has long cables. With the PS at the bottom of the case, (which I got for $5, Coolermaster CM690), I wanted the longer cables to reach when they are routed behind the MB plate.

Well, I bought a Corsair TX650W. It looks great in the box! :) I only have 3 parts so far for my computer waiting on graphics cards and processors to come out, but I think the PS is safe enough since I will buy a current graphics card when the new ones come out. I am speculating on price drops. Anyway, the PS got a fairly good rating, is single rail, and has long cables. With the PS at the bottom of the case, (which I got for $5, Coolermaster CM690), I wanted the longer cables to reach when they are routed behind the MB plate.

Good choice, I went in for the 600W StealthXstream because I read about it being made from the same components as the 700W GameXstream but they didn't have it. The guy at the store felt that the Corsair PSU with it's single rail was better because you could accidentally overload a single rail on a quad-rail PSU like the StealthXstream. Unfortunately they didn't have the TX650W and I didn't want below 600 so I put in the extra $$ and bought the 700W GameXstream. It's great. I was worried about a 700W PSU overburdening my nexxtech UPS since it was already reading 89% load with my 450W stock Raidmax PSU but surprisingly enough the 700W PSU only draws 66% with the same load. I guess its the 80% + high efficiency, the Raidmax was terrible by comparison, but I only paid 60$ for the case and PSU so I didn't expect much....

Greg.

What powersupply do you recomend for this system?

HD 3850 512mb

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500(plan to overclock it)

Abit IP35 motherboard

2 gb of RAM

None of that is going to be particularly power hungry, so to be honest anything decent over 300W should power it.

We can call that 400W for a generous margin (and the fact there aren't a huge number of lower powered PSUs around).

I wouldn't bother with anything much more than that unless you plan some serious upgrades in the near future.

If you haven't checked the Recommended List yet, then do (even though it does need updating again.. sigh).

And if you see anything that isn't on there you want to ask about, then feel free. :)