XP Startup Freeze/Hang

HoboBen

Not sure if it matters, but am on an I-mac using boot camp. 90% of the time I startup, windows get to the point where I have desktop/startbar, is playing the startup music, and than freezes and hangs, often on the last note. Found online same problem and they suggested the following

Boot into safe mode (hold f8) than choose boot in safe mode

Goto RUN command in startup bar

Type in MSCONFIG

Under startup tab, disable brightness.exe

I don't remeber the website, but if needed, I am sure I could find and post link. But there is no mention of what the above does.. Does this seem a viable safe thing to try.. I have nothing on the windows partition, so not real concerned about haveing to wipe.. FYI this is fresh install, twice.

Have Leopard, have updated both apple and windows.

Updating my routers firmware fixed issues I was having connecting on the mac side of things.. Probably unrelated to this.

Oh yeah, and I am on windows now, so assuming I wouldn't have to boot up in safe mode, or should I still do so. (lets hear it for 10%!!)

As a side note, half the reason I am doing this is I am back to EQ2. Noticed alot of you play wow, but my main toons on ButcherBlock, and would probably make a new toon if there were OCC guild on other server..

Edited by HoboBen

I would go ahead and try removing it from msconfig. I just googled brightness.exe and apparently it has something to do with controlling the brightness of the lcd. I also read that others had to do the same thing. If you've already reinstalled twice, I see no reason not to try and see if this will work.

Yeah may as well... Will post results, seems kinda uncommon, but I have been extremely frustrated. Getting to point where I am almost ready to pay someone to fix.. OH NOOOO

Well, there is no brightness.exe

this is what shows under startup tab

NvCpl RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WI... HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer...

nwiz nwiz.exe/install "

NvMcTray RUNDLL32.EXE.C:\WI... "

RTHDCPL RTHDCPL.EXE "

rundll32 rundll32.exe bthprops.... "

IRW C:\WINDOWS\system.... "

KbdMgr C:\Program Files\Boot "

Edited by HoboBen

Would this be safe to try?

"Go into start menu.

Open Run...

Write: msconfig

and disable KbdMgr on startup.

I also disabled ccApp which I think is an ATI graphics application, which I never use anyway.

That solved the freeze on startup for me.

Works fine now"

This option I do have.

Thanks