Ram Ratio

This may have been asked before - apologies if it has:

Most of the overclocking guides say that you should have your ram running in sync with your FSB at a 1:1 ratio (at least to start with)

I am using Corsair PC2-8500 ram (speed 1066Mhz)

Currently I have my ram running at 890Mhz with my FSB at 356 so my ram ration is 4:5 - the question is - is it better to have the ram running at a lower speed but at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB or as I have done put it as high as it can be without overclocking it?

Many thanks.

If you are not going to be adjusting the timings (essentially overclocking), then you should run it as high as is stable. If you're going to be adjusting the timings, running medium FSBs at better timings might be the better choice for performance ;)

lol, i am a little confused with the 4:5 thing, maybe i dont understand ram dividers properly but on my board you just set it as a multiplier (i guess you could call it 1:2 instead of 2x etc) but you appear to have you ram at 2.5x (356x2.5=890) so i would bump it up to 3x because that gives you 1068Mhz which is pretty much stock speeds.

And i'll assume this is a Core2 rig so speeds are more important than timings

Comp_Dude, the way RAM dividers are set up is different for every board, for example on my Blood Iron, it goes from 266/800 to 333/1600 or something weird like that. First being the chipset strap, then the frequency, but I might not have fully understood that yet :ph34r: