Vista 32 and 64 ?

nacano

Hail all, I have a quesiton, I have a upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate can I get it to be a 64bit system when I go to build my new system, I do have a copy of windows xp pro 64bit or will I need to get a new Vista System?

Your question is a bit confusing. I think you are asking if your 32 bit upgrade version of Vista can be installed as a 64 bit Version. If so, the answer is no because there is a separate disk for the 64 bit versions of Vista. Restate your question if this was not helpful. :)

Your question is a bit confusing. I think you are asking if your 32 bit upgrade version of Vista can be installed as a 64 bit Version. If so, the answer is no because there is a separate disk for the 64 bit versions of Vista. Restate your question if this was not helpful. :)

:withstupid: 32-bit and 64-bit come on different discs.

• 2 weeks later...
Isnt the 64bit super weird? Drivers doesnt work etc etc?

No? What do you mean by "super weird"?

64bit is (for the most part) an unnoticeable difference from 32bit. The drivers are mostly a non-issue these days in the 64bit world.

No? What do you mean by "super weird"?

64bit is (for the most part) an unnoticeable difference from 32bit. The drivers are mostly a non-issue these days in the 64bit world.

Well I'm buying a new rigg and since I'm gonna use 4gb of ram I need 64bit but some guys on a other forum told me that the 64bit XP/Vista is really bad. They said that the 64bit needs more memory than the 32bit, lack of drivers and some program wont even work on 64bit.

They told me that I should get a 32bit Vista instead...then I could use 3-3,5gb of my memory.

Is that complete BS or what?

It's mostly BS, there are and have been a few modern program compatability issues with the Microsoft x64 OS options, however they're usualy quick to be resolved now due to more and more going 64bit when they move to vista. (UT3 Demo wouldnt run properly but a patch was out within a few hours, and it was just a demo) As for overhead and ram usage, it is a bit higher, however in 64bit apps the performance increase is generally more than worth it and the fact that you'll have the FULL 4GB to work with negates the few MB here and there anyway.

As for drivers, they're out for for most everything with the exception of some printers and off the wall devices. If you have something you use commonly like for example a TI Graphing calculator USB link then check on it (the dont play nice with XP x64 or ANY vista version as of a few months back btw)

It's mostly BS, there are and have been a few modern program compatability issues with the Microsoft x64 OS options, however they're usualy quick to be resolved now due to more and more going 64bit when they move to vista. (UT3 Demo wouldnt run properly but a patch was out within a few hours, and it was just a demo) As for overhead and ram usage, it is a bit higher, however in 64bit apps the performance increase is generally more than worth it and the fact that you'll have the FULL 4GB to work with negates the few MB here and there anyway.

As for drivers, they're out for for most everything with the exception of some printers and off the wall devices. If you have something you use commonly like for example a TI Graphing calculator USB link then check on it (the dont play nice with XP x64 or ANY vista version as of a few months back btw)

Ok thanks alot for making this clear for me. I have preatty much lost since I heard that from them. But guys...what do suggest I should get? 64bit XP or Vista? Is it just a matter of taste maybe?

Ok thanks alot for making this clear for me. I have preatty much lost since I heard that from them. But guys...what do suggest I should get? 64bit XP or Vista? Is it just a matter of taste maybe?

Anyone who wants 64-bit should go with Vista. Those driver/compatibility issues you talked about? They're mostly in XP, not Vista. And most companies aren't going to worry about 64-bit XP.

Those driver/compatibility issues you talked about? They're mostly in XP, not Vista. And most companies aren't going to worry about 64-bit XP.

Used XP x64 recently? because if it has Vista x64 drivers it almost certianly has them for XP x64.