Playing CSS in Vista Home Premium

mattwalter85

Hey guys. I recently got Vista Home Premiumx32 installed on my rig and the only game I've tried playing so far is CouterStrike Source. I did a stress test at first with my old drivers installed for my 7950gt ko and i got like 45fps which was horrible because i've never gotten less then 120 in winxp. All settings were maxed out. vert sync off, AA 2x with the resolution at 1680x1050. I went to nvidia's site and installed their newest driver for my card the 168..somethin a rather and also installed 2 of the updates they had on there for vista that were to improve fps...so anyway after i rebooted and had fraps on i ran the stress test again and this time i got 133 which was alot better obviously. then i oc'd my card to 651core/1725mem.(600/1450stock) and ran it a second time and i got 144..so i decided to play the game and see how it felt. Well with fraps on i'm gettin like 80fps while playing on my own server(against bots) but at times the video is still very shakey and kinda hangs up. Im not sure if this is a vista thing or if I should try a diff. driver for my card but Im looking to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Thanks guys.

well i know from use, if you run your own server the more bots you add the lower your fps, not because your adding more polygons to process but mainly because the physics are run from the cpu and when you add bots your fps will serverly drop. now put in the vista factor as it has 45 process running in the background on startup were as xp has 20-25.

vista will make anything run like crap, its not your drivers its more that vistas a memory and processor hog.

yeah thats what i thought. i was only running 10 bots but i've ran up to 50..lol..in xp at one time and thats always fun thats why i kept xp installed and put vista on a separate hard drive so i can switch back and forth between the 2 wenever i want. guess i'll have to keep xp for playing games until i get a quad core to play games with vista:(

well i know from use, if you run your own server the more bots you add the lower your fps, not because your adding more polygons to process but mainly because the physics are run from the cpu and when you add bots your fps will serverly drop. now put in the vista factor as it has 45 process running in the background on startup were as xp has 20-25.

vista will make anything run like crap, its not your drivers its more that vistas a memory and processor hog.

lol. naivety at its best (or is that worst?)

Have you optimised Vista? I wouldn't be surprised if it were hogging too much RAM in the background for CS:S to run properly.

Optimize Vista? How do you do that? I just upgraded to Home Premium myself. I'll let y'all know how I fare, so far so good, though.

ive used tweakhound.com a couple times and they seem to be pretty good. lots of good info on optimizing vista (well if you can call it optimizing)

edit: moved to vista forum

Edited by neddamttocs