HD2600XT CPU bottleneck?

apk878

Hello, I just recently upgraded from a 9600XT AGP to Sapphire HD2600XT GDDR3 AGP version, my system is Athlon XP 3000+ 1GB ddr 333 ram

This upgrade brought almost no improvement in TF2(only game tested), I can however play on higher settings, but the frame rates are the same on any settings, all low, dx8.0, or all high on dx 9.0.15-40 fps. however my 3dmark03 score went from 3800 to 11000.

I just ordered more parts because i think the cpu is bottlenecking the GPU's potential. the reason i think this is because it gets the same frame rates no matter what settings its on, maybe a 10% increase from the 9600XT

I went with Athlon 64 X2 4000+ and 2gb ddr2 800 ram

Was this the right move? is this a cpu issue ?

Edited by apk878

what the problem is, no offense, is that agp, is dead technology. You can only have so much bandwidth with agp, basically what you pai for was the ability to play in higher resolutions. Soon pci-e will be the same way, when pci-e 2.0 goes full mainstream.

I agree agp is outdated,and pci-e is better, I know this. the 2600xt has almost triple the bandwidth of the 9600XT at 26gb/s i believe where the 9600xt is 9gb/s , so it should be able to run at the same settings, higher frames then the 9600xt did. it does not on my machine

even though agp is old technology we still have not hit the bandwidth cap for it AFAIK.

@OP

are you upgrading everything ... because afaik the X2's were not produce for socket A(462)

this means you will need a new motherboard as well, and for that x2i dont think there are many motherboards with agp for them.

Edited by neddamttocs

even though agp is old technology we still have not hit the bandwidth cap for it AFAIK.

@OP

are you upgrading everything ... because afaik the X2's were not produce for socket A(462)

this means you will need a new motherboard as well, and for that x2i dont think there are many motherboards with agp for them.

yes I did not mention that in my post but I have found an AGP AM2 motherboard that supports x2 , only one i could find is the MSI K9MM-V K8M800

I agree agp is outdated,and pci-e is better, I know this. the 2600xt has almost triple the bandwidth of the 9600XT at 26gb/s i believe where the 9600xt is 9gb/s , so it should be able to run at the same settings, higher frames then the 9600xt did. it does not on my machine

It is not the agp.

Your scores show that the system is exponentially faster, but in that particular game something else is holding you back - your processor/ram combo.

A socket A chip/ddr333 is a HUGE bottleneck for that card. If you do not want to spend much a cheap and effective upgrade for you would be a 939 AGP system w/ an A64 and a gig of value ddr400 ram. Leaps and bounds quicker then your current mobo/ram/proc and they are dirt cheap now. I can't imagine all three being much over 200 total. AGP 939 mobos are probably hard to find now, but if you search around that would be your best price/performance increase.

Stepping up to the more modern stuff would need a whole new graphics card too, and will be 4 times that cost or more.

It is not the agp.

Your scores show that the system is exponentially faster, but in that particular game something else is holding you back - your processor/ram combo.

A socket A chip/ddr333 is a HUGE bottleneck for that card. If you do not want to spend much a cheap and effective upgrade for you would be a 939 AGP system w/ an A64 and a gig of value ddr400 ram. Leaps and bounds quicker then your current mobo/ram/proc and they are dirt cheap now. I can't imagine all three being much over 200 total. AGP 939 mobos are probably hard to find now, but if you search around that would be your best price/performance increase.

Stepping up to the more modern stuff would need a whole new graphics card too, and will be 4 times that cost or more.

I hope you are right, I was able to find the parts on newegg for 157$ shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103774

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813130064

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820211066

I do not want to upgrade to pci-e for a while, i just bought this agp card 1 month ago.

all together using old parts (cdrom, hd's, case) this has cost me about 320$ that is not too bad if it performs decently

Edited by apk878

I hope you are right, I was able to find the parts on newegg for 157$ shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103774

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813130064

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820211066

I do not want to upgrade to pci-e for a while, i just bought this agp card 1 month ago.

all together using old parts (cdrom, hd's, case) this has cost me about 320$ that is not too bad if it performs decently

that will make your performance take a huge jump compared to what you are running now! I think those are decent bidget parts, and you should even be able to overclock on that motherboard to some extent. Good choice on the upgrade ;)

I am expecting these parts to come tomorrow or monday, I will post the results for anyone who is interested. I searched google for hours and found nothing for a similar system to mine.

Current system:

Athlon XP 3000+

2x512mb DDR 333

AGP Sapphire 2600XT DDR3

3dmark03: 10329 marks

TF2: 1280-1024, max settings, 4aa 8af hdr 15-40fps , or 800x600 low settings, dx8.0 15-40fps

Bioshock: 1024x768 high settings dx9 15-30fps

Athlon 64 X2 4000+ oc to 2.44 ghz

2x1GB DDR2 800

AGP Sapphire 2600XT DDR3

3dmark03: 13214 marks

TF2: 1280-1024, max settings, 4aa 8af hdr 40-120 fps

didnt get a chance for bioshock yet

i am satisfied for under 300$ including graphics card ill get another year out of agp

Edited by apk878