RIAA Sues For Ripping CDs

Kamikaze_Badger

This is really a whole different subject regardless, how about a criminal breaks into your house and uses your gun for murder? Sure it sucks, but you just have to hope you can prove you didn't do it, just like any other form of being framed, you don't have much of a choice other then to rely on your defense.

good metaphor.

honestly, the simple fact that the RIAA is suing him for backing up his own property, is simply not going to work. the only thing that holds up is if they were being shared. but again, they're simply suing him for backing it up. technically, they should lose. how did they know the music was on his machine? they didn't say. who knows. i hope they fail. more money they have to waste in court.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

how did they know the music was on his machine? they didn't say. who knows. i hope they fail. more money they have to waste in court.
Thats the part that has me thinking theres more at play, if he didn't share any of the music, how would they ever know? I don't see a problem with just having the copies for personal use either, but I don't think they would bother unless he is sharing somehow, any who, I want to see the whole story.

That defense wouldn't work, as it's been ruled before (IIRC) that it's the owners responsibility to monitor and secure his network.
I never implied a defense like that would work, I was simply saying its a crappy situation to be in that can also happen outside of computer land. Not very many people have thousands of songs sitting around (legally) on their hard drives for strict personal use anyway, so if your one of the very few that happens to get hacked and caught with them, then thats like a one in ten million situation to be in.

good metaphor.

honestly, the simple fact that the RIAA is suing him for backing up his own property, is simply not going to work. the only thing that holds up is if they were being shared. but again, they're simply suing him for backing it up. technically, they should lose. how did they know the music was on his machine? they didn't say. who knows. i hope they fail. more money they have to waste in court.

The problem is when you purchase a cd you purchase the right to listen to the music. You do not own it. At least per the RIAA. If they want me to spend my hard earned money on the right to listen they better come up with some lower prices. The old way of doing business is no longer relevant for that industry. Embrace the future and prosper or fall by the wayside. Many bands today are selling the music themselves and not using the music industry vehicle for distribution. Are they in violation..............

When he buys a CD, he buys a license. How far does that license extend is the question that'll be debated. However, if the RIAA illegally obtained the evidence, it can be thrown out in court, if my experience watching the ACLU's "Get out of breaking the law" videos on YouTube is valid.