Attempting to create a Userbar

kingdingeling

Well, I was bored last night (and today lol), so I went and read a couple of tutorials (cause I have zero photoshop skill!) on userbars, to see if I could come up with a halfway decent attempt myself :P

I wanted to incorporate something personal (i.e, my nick, and the German flag :P), but also have it relate to [email protected] I made two versions, but neither really fit what I wanted to produce.

foldingkingdingelingat8.jpg

fhkingdingelingua7.jpg

For my liking, there's too much text in the first one, but I dunno where to reduce it? I did [email protected] in the second one, but that looks weird again. The @ is a problem in both of the userbars, because the @ from the font I'm using (Visitor) looks really crappy, so I'm experimenting with @'s from other fonts. What do you guys think?

[Edit] Here's two more with the Gradient changed a little:

userbarverndertergradiefc2.jpg

gradientandersrumpy4.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I like the 3rd one down the best, more blue in it makes the text easier to read.

I think they would benefit from a border as well, but that's just my personal preference. :)

I've never really messed with user bars before, are there any "rules" regarding their creation? I.E. standard size, etc.?

Staff = either OCC userbar, or none at all.

That's for staff-related userbars, ie. your news editor one. You can have any other userbar you want.

As for those userbars, no offense, but yuck!

1. Change the opacity of your scan lines. You don't have to go from solid black to none, there are options in between :P

2. Make sure you use the "native" font size for the font you're using. Pixel/Bitmap fonts are like LCD's in that they have a native size they look best at. Visitor is either size 10 or 11, I don't remember, but I can tell just by looking at your's that you are using a size that's 1 pixel too big. Also, make sure that anti-aliasing is turned off for the text. Pixel/Bitmap fonts = no anti-aliasing.

3. Instead of a drop shadow for the text, most userbars use a 1-pixel stroke (usually black) surrounding white text.

PS. Here are my userbars, with [email protected] and OCC ones on that page

Those look better, IMO.

I would swap the positions of your name and [email protected] text (so your name would be on the left ,and the [email protected] text would be on the right next to the [email protected] symbol), then maybe extend (smudge) the flag enough where it just extends beyond where your name ends.