I could use a bit of help

Son of Odin

A good friend of mine just got back from the Army and he's looking to build a PC. I haven't been looking around the technology world since dual core was the most awesome thing out there. Lol.. As far as I know, he'd like a Quad-core processor, so he wants to go Intel. Ah, nVidia on the graphics. I'm aiming for the top of the mid-range stuff on all the components, he doesn't need the latest and greatest (that's going to be old news in 6 months). I'll probably try to keep it under $1,500 seeing how he already has a monitor and two external 500 gig drives. So.. Any suggestions?

Q6600

evga 880GTS

2gb Crucial Ballistix Ram

Smilodon case

Enough space

Soundblaster w/remote

I'm thinking about skilling the soundcard and doubling the ram.. Any Suggestions on motherboards? I doubt he'll do any SLI stuff, but as far as I know the nvidia chipsets are best correct?

you could probably find some cheaper ram that is the same if not better than those crucials, then you could get a cheaper sound card and more ram, and for a mobo, try to get one that doesn't need a bios flash in order to utilize that quad core, just soome thoughts :)

Get the 8800GT or the new 8800GTS 512 if you can find them in stock. BOTH are better than the GTS 640...Snag this PSU while you're at it, too. As for mobo's, give the Gigabyte P35-DS3R a look. It's a good board, it's cheap and it can OC nicely. What more could one ask for?

EVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB - 360$ <-- although less memory, a better card!

I agree on the OCZ GameXStream iKillSteal recommended, can't go wrong there :) Mobo wise, check out either of these:

Abit IP35-Pro - 180$

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 - 180$

I'll second these suggestions. Looks like between what king posted here and what you've already got, it's a very good build. If you're going with a Q6600 and an nVidia card, you might want to think about an SLI board though, like this.

Nooo @ Verran, BAD idea! 680i + Quads = Pain in the Behind!

I have an evga 680i with the q6600 and I can run it at 3.3 all day, everyday without any problems. I've had it up around 3.6 but it takes too much work keeping it stable. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but my 680i has been a very good board for me over the last 10 months. I just got a Gigabyte p35c-ds3r for Christmas and will hopefully get around to installing it this weekend, so who knows, maybe I'll just be blown away by the performance difference. Maybe not.