Question about Thermal Paste for Hd's

MstJuan

Hi all!

I have a question about what kind of paste i should use to fill he bottom part of a hard drive.

The application i intend to use it for is. I am building my own case (or at least planing it right now) and i intend to build also the water blocks for my Hard drives. Right now i have 4 drives of 750 gig each and i would like to expand my system and they all ready generate a lot of heat which still remains in the case making the airflow warmer.

I was thinking of making a water block for the drives from the top part and from the bottom part. But i have an issue with the pcb which if make a contact i might burn it.

therefore i was thinking of using some kind of paste which is a good each conductor but not an electrical conductor.

Have you got any ideas please?

Im not sure what paste you would use... probably not AS5 because its electrically conductive. But... why watercool hard drives? They are very resilient and dont really get that hot. Its kind of a waste IMO.

Edited by SMeeD

The reason behind this ideas was so that i collect all the deposited heat from the hard drive face and transfer it into the coolant. And then put it out side the case rather then leave it with in the case.

so i just stop the idea of the bottom part and work on the top part. as for the blocks

i was going to make them my self with a small khm car radiator that will take care of the coolant out side. this type of heat exchanger is used in cars and it's small plus i has some of the best heat transfer properties around.

My thought was that is i manage to decrease the temperature by at least 10 digress would help in making the hd more stable and therefore more data safe and lower loading times.

your using the cooling system from a car?? lol...buy stuff for computers. way easier nd cooler lol

Cooling the drives is highly unlikely to make them "more stable" as they pretty much are already nd it will definatly not lower the loading times, you could argue they would last longer but still............

I was going o use that so i have a bigger surface area where i can cool off the coolant and therefore having a batter heat dispersion

those of the loading temp. i read them on anther website and they make sens to me.

Unfortunately enough there are no water coolers that to be honest they really interested me. some of my friends have water coolers and when i when to there homes and check the temperature difference between the inlet of the heat exchanger and the outlet i so only 15 - 25 digress in difference i would like more and i believe that making a very good system would make more difference in overall system performance.

your using the cooling system from a car?? lol...buy stuff for computers. way easier nd cooler lol
You do realize that most radiators are based of a car heater core design correct?

In fact QUITE A FEW people use heater cores because they are cheaper than pre-fabbed ones, all they have to do is just braze connectors on....

Edited by Andrewr05

You do realize that most radiators are based of a car heater core design correct?

In fact QUITE A FEW people use heater cores because they are cheaper than pre-fabbed ones, all they have to do is just braze connectors on....

Yep.. Pontiac Bonneville heater core for me....

ALL the rads at Danger Den are based on car heater cores... jsut slightly modified with barbs and painted up all purdy

I have found a motor cycle radiator it is made for high performance motors. it is second hand but it's sill in very good condition and it takes loads of flow rate. and the temperature dissipation is very high what you think?