Sign in to follow this  
HoLoDreaM

Need an ITX mobo for my car

I am looking to build a car computer for my Trans Am. it has the factory monsoon system, and I want to find a good mobo that is small, I was looking at that new Pico ITX, but it probably won't have good sound. I'm sure i'll need one with 5.1 output. What would be a good mobo to go with?

Any form factor would work I guess.

Edited by HoLoDreaM

It's a factory Monsoon 10 speaker system, I figured 5.1 would be best for it. I wanted to do as few parts as possible, a mobo with it built in would be great..

Any reason why you just won't go with a microatx system? If you have room (under the seats, center console), it'll be much, much cheaper and faster. Though, you'll have to watch the power and stick with a small, low end CPU and integrated audio/video.

But you'll have many more choices to choose from, not to mention a $150 AM2 Sempron 64 system (cpu/mobo/ram/psu/HDD) will whoop those crappy VIA ITX kits that are $200+ and still be low power.

What are the specs on your power source? Display?

I've been looking at building one too. But I've got 120 watts maximum to work with at the 12v (I haven't even figured in the lost power at the invertor). I've got a micro (?) atx PIII that sucks 60 watts at full load, and a 15 inch display that sucks 25. I'd rather not start messing with the alternator and electricals right now... sort of cutting it close.

I was under the impression mini and micro are the same thing..

There's a difference between ITX and ATX. ITX is a VIA standard, and it's much smaller than microatx.

EATX>ATX>Micro ATX>ITX>Nano ITX>Pico ATX

pico_itx_and-main-board-comparison.jpg